Quality of the VDSL modem

Well, back with such DSL I was very happy with my BT Home Hub 5A which even run OpenWrt.

Unfortunately it’s not available where I am , those listed above are the only ones I’ve been able to find so far

They should be easy to find on eBay. Alternatively I might even be able to send you one.

Look like cabinet is in front of your house / building . Youre ISP should be able to offer ~100Mbit service on this line. VRX200 based CPE are best OpenWrt routers capable VDSL2 but they fail into dumb modem for ~100Mbit lines .
I don't think OpenWrt VDSL2 modem will change anything . But look for OpenWrt Router capable SFQ witch AC/AX wireless to connect it behind ISP modem
I'm rocking 60/8 VDSL2 on Openwrt FB7412 and Padavan DIR-878

Close. It’s about 10-15 meters away.
My ISP Actually said my line doesn’t support 100mbit but I’ll argue that in the future after I get everything as stable as it can get.

I’m not looking for a OpenWRT capable VDSL router but rather a good one from the modem+router combos I listed above which will run only in bridge mode then connected to a linksys ea8300 with OpenWRT as a router.

@sumo I’ll look into importing one if none from the available is good enough. Thanks for the offer.

Edit: do I just go for the tplink VR600?

For a plain modem in bridge mode that Broadcom based one is probably much more reliable.

The VR600 v3 is mediatek. Which broadcom do you mean?

Edit: the VR400 v2 uses Broadcom BCM63168 but I suspect the one being sold is a v3 for which I’m not sure what it’s using.

I was under the impression at least previous VR600 versions were Broadcom based. Anyway, at the end it will depend on how good whatever modem will play with whatever equipment (and likely configuration) your ISP is using. That said, I did not have any personal bad experience in that respect so far except a DSLAM that went flaky at one point. After my ISP resp. our monopolist telecom provider replaced that one it was back to smooth sailing.

So what is a good general criteria to look for when choosing a modem apart from the manufacturer? Does the only thing I should consider without knowing what will play nice with my ISP is the processing power and RAM since it’ll only run in modem only mode?

I would recommend something which others have made good experience with. Preferably in an environment as close as possible to what you plan to run yours in.

1 Like

the vr series has good reviews and mostly running with router mode as well. i'll see if my isp has any recommendation too.

and to be sure, neither the Econet nor the Mediatek SoCs are known to have any troubles as far as you know.

This is what i've found so far:

Make Model Profile CPU Last FW Update
Huawei EchoLife DG8045 17a TriDuctor VSPM310
D-Link DSL-2888A 17a TriDuctor VSPM340
D-Link DSL-G2452DG 30a Triductor VSPM340
TP-Link TD-W9960 17a Mediatek/Econet EN7512
TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 17a Broadcom BCM63381
TP-Link VR300 v1.2 30a Mediatek/Econet EN7513T
TP-Link VR400 V2 Broadcom BCM63168
TP-Link VR400 V3 AC1200 Mediatek/Econet EN7512 / EN7513
TP-Link VR600 V1/V2 AC1600 Broadcom BCM63167U / BCM63168
TP-Link VR600 V3 AC2100 35b Mediatek/Econet EN7516 22 June '21
Tenda V300 17a Broadcom BCM63381

The reviews for the D-Link DSL-2888A which uses a TriDuctor chip like my ISP's supplied modem are mixed and the good is mostly in Australia since they keep on getting firmware updates to this day and since i'm not from there i dont know if i should use the updated firmware.
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2608885

if only my ISP allows running the modem in bridge mode i'd be done with all this headache.

For the updated chipset data and beta firmware for multiple modems:
https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showpost.php?p=46876118

Huawei EchoLife DG8045 chipset data comes from the FCC:(page 10)
https://fccid.io/QISDG8045/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3534865

Edit: found another one. The Tenda V300 which for the older version had the Broadcom Chip but as for the V300 v3.0 I still don’t know if it has a Broadcom chip or not.

2 Likes

I use a TP-Link w8980 on a NBN FTTN service. Very cheap and can be flashed with OpenWrt (requires a serial adapter).

I get between 100/38 - 95/32 running a very stripped down build in full bridge. I might be blessed with a good line though.

You can get w8970/w8980 for $25-50 on eBay AU.

Happy to share my build and configs if you decide to try one. Just send me a PM.

Should I go with the d-link variants since they use the same chip manufacturer as my ISP or go for the VR600 v3 since it’s still receiving updates (or try to track down a v2 with the broadcom chipset)?

I think you're making this more difficult than it needs to be. NBN FTTN only supports 17a with vectoring. Anything greater will be unused/wasted.

Updates are likely irrelevant as I doubt anybody is working on technology as old as what NBN use anyway (Europe has 35b, super-vectoring, g-fast, etc).

I suggest you take the advice given already. Get an xrx200 based device and flash OpenWrt OR anything that supports 17a+vectoring and allows you to configure it as a full bridge (many don't). Use that until NBN overbuild your area with full fibre.

Good luck with your choice.

1 Like

In addition to this advice I would suggest to, if possible within that subset, get a device that is currently or was at some point given out by the provider.

While I strongly believe in experimentation and optimizing hardware myself, with leased lines it is very possible that one day you will have to rely on the ISP's support to fix the line. Running a device on your end with which the ISP is familiar will probably not change anything regarding the technical fault, but it will most certainly simplify the process on their end. (Having had a few troubles with my line in the past, it really got very tiresome to explain a "nonstandard" device to customer support, always fighting an uphill battle to convince them that my device is not the problem. Once to the point where a technician at my place was confused that my device was not "blinking correctly.")

(Also, as an added benefit, ISP devices are given out by the thousands and are really cheap to get second-hand.)

2 Likes

This simplified everything. I would’ve stuck with the one I got from the ISP but for some unknown reason they disabled running it in bridge mode.

Thanks everyone one for the help.

I’ll be keeping the ISP modem around for troubleshooting as well.

Apparently, there are issues with vectoring support in the current openwrt Lantiq driver, although the poster of the thread below who discovered it, is working on a fix.

1 Like

K I tried with the ZTE ZXHN H188A which is supposed to have a broadcom chip and these are my current stats:
Actual Rate(Up/Down): 5119/40960 kbps
Attainable Rate(Up/Down): 48324/120995 kbps
Noise Margin(Up/Down): 31/23.7 dB
Line Attenuation(Up/Down): 0/4.2 dB

With small change in the Max Attainable rate but the attenuation and noise have have the most change. The downstream noise margin increased by ~3 db but attenuation increased by ~2.2 db as for the upstream the noise is pretty much the same but the attenuation dropped to 0.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.