Qualcommax NSS Build

so its not really THAT important.

the reason its important for me is because i use the inactivity time as part of my home automation.

i use iw station dump for part of my presence detection (i also use BLE doingles but thats another thing all together...).

the problem is sometimes when i roam between floors or exit out my front door my cellphone will not have time to properly disassociate...

so i am left with a situation where either:

a) the station is showing as connected on 2 APs (when roaming between floors)

b) the station is showing as connected to my furthest AP (when leaving my home)

in this case i assume an inactivity time of 60 seconds or more means the station is not really connected to this AP... i know for sure at least once a minute my cellphone will ping something and inactivity time should reset. also, i compare inactivity times from all APs and assume the whichever has the most recent one is where the station actually is connected / was last connected.

also, having a properly working inactivity time will ensure that the stations are properly cleaned out when it does finally do the STA POLL. when you set it for 86400 or whatever, there is a high chance that the station will linger for up to 86400 before the STA POLL is sent and its properly removed.

...thats why i keep on harping about this issue :wink: its actually useful for me. if it were not for the above i wouldnt care.

btw the 'didnt have time to disassociate because signal dropped to low' is completly normal... it just means that by the time your cellphone decided to disassociate the connection was too weak to send the goodbye. this is the main reason for having the max inactivity time.

1 Like

@qosmio

hi! hope im not annoying you too much with all my noise :wink:

for anyone reading, @qosmio is right, you WANT to use 11.4.

the only reason im going on about it is because iv been using this project as a way to refresh my c and learn some *nix wifi internals at the same time.

id love to get the stats working on 12.5, that was the initial goal but tracking down where they are being lost became a major pain in the butt. the best i can come up with is that peer id is being lost / set to 0 by the firmware before they enter mac80211 / the ath11k driver.

that being said, iv been playing with the qca patches and have been running these for over a week now with 100% stability and same as before performance... which probably means they are doing NOTHING :wink:

strictly out of curiosity, may i ask why you opted to keep out a few that "sound" important?

amongs a couple of others (disabling color collision detection etc), im running:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1854 Sep 15 08:00 118-ath11k-reset-bcc-counter.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2247 Sep 15 07:59 211-ath11k-add-obss-pd-support.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5387 Sep 15 08:00 360-ath11k-add-length-validation-before-skb_put-call.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2368 Sep 15 07:59 371-ath11k-Fix-ppdu_id-from-firmware-PPDU-stats.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3279 Sep 15 15:08 452-ath11k-fix-memory-leak-caused-by-thermal-debug-regis.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1008 Sep 15 23:53 999-999-374-ath11k-fix-VLC-streaming-not-working-for-wan-to-wlan.patch
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3690 Sep 15 23:53 999-999-454-ath11k-reap-CE-entries-if-ring-is-full-and-intrp-idl.patch

btw WDS is broken on anything but 11.4 as well, not just 802.11s... the station will associate, but silently disassociate fairly quickly without any warning in dmesg. and it will repeat.

i never did enable nss logging to see what was happening. for the AP that i need to repeat off i use 11.4 and 802.11s works flawlessly... had a 3 week uptime while we were away for vacation.

2 Likes

Good explanation.
That's why I love to read this forum.
Now I'll return to default WLAN settings running a build with Inactivity Time issue sorted.

can you get 160Mhz RX with ath11k fw 2.9

Yes, I have always had 160 MHz with 2.9.

1 Like

I've tested 2.12 + 11.4 with Poco Phone X6 pro on xiaomi AX3600, only had 80Mhz
Have you tested nss 12.2 with ath11k 2.9
edit: i've tested, this combination is able to get 160Mhz on RX

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

have a look https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/start

I hope this is now gone with merging of the PR.

I have a question about VPNs.
I 've setup a WireGuard connection to a VPN provider (there is OpenVPN support too) in order to be able to expand the versatility of my whole network along with the amazing Policy-Based-Routing PBR package.
With WireGuard I get above 400 Mbps (1G ISP line) which is great but in that case of course the CPU usage is high as the WG connection is not NSS accelerated.
So my question is following.
Is/Are there a security protocol/s (IPSec, OpenVPN) that are (or can be) NSS accelerated.
Has anyone tried the options - Enable IPSEC and/or Enable OpenVpn (QVPN).

Have a look at my built script. It automates everything for you:

1 Like

Fantastic work, what distro is the best for making openwrt images? I use debian for a long time but for mostly nas.

1 Like

Whatever is most comfortable for you. If in doubt go with Ubuntu it's probably the best documented for openwrt. It's also what GitHub actions use.

2 Likes

So I have tried to compile by cloning the openwrt official repo

git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git

once clone is done, ive added qosmio repo
src-git nss_packages https://github.com/qosmio/nss-packages.git;NSS-12.5-K6.x
src-git sqm_scripts_nss https://github.com/qosmio/sqm-scripts-nss.git

run the update and install and make menuconfig
everything went fine until it got build error on qca-nss-drv

this is using 11.4 nss driver on latest openwrt build.
anything I missed ?

U need to clone this repo:

I have also tried this repo but the weird thing is upon completion of build, when I load the firmware, my settings does not reflect even updated in make menu config. Even it shows the setting in the config file.

Will give it another try.

UPDATE :
I have used this repo - https://github.com/qosmio/openwrt-ipq
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make -j5

succesful build with an error

went to bin/targets directory where the image was created.

config.buildinfo shows all my changes using make menuconfig, however when I load the sysupgrade bin to the modem, all included settings ive checked is gone.
ea. luci, 3ginfo, modemband,quectel-cm etc. It just loaded the normal default openwrt without anything, not even luci.

where is the actual file of make menuconfig being saved ?
am I missing something ?

in the root directory where you run make

its ".config"

thanks !

I can see my .config in the root directory and the settings is there. It is very weird that when the sysupgrade.bin came out it doesnt have the settings I chose from the menuconfig....

Are you sure its building the new bin? Clean out the bin directory and rebuild ...

Yes im sure. I deleted the bin and then run make -j5 and it recreated the bin.