Qualcommax NSS Build

I have found an issue with WiFi. Possible Ath11k bug.
Please check it.
I'm not sure if this is a mass bug or only issue found in my setup.

I don't use SQM but AFAIK by default device name eth0 is used, while we have switched to wan naming:

insmod nss-ifb nss_dev_name=wan
ip link set up nssifb
1 Like

hi yes

i also hv same issue, ping test show RTO when I trun off my android wifi phone
i test with my lapotp using 5Ghz 80mhz, my phone also using 5Ghz 80Mhz

1 Like

Looks like a bug in Ath11k firmware.

Edit - I've just returned to firmware WLAN.HK.2.9.0.1-01385-QCAHKSWPL_SILICONZ-1.
I've copied it to /lib/firmware/IPQ8074 and rebooted.
This fixed it.

2 Likes

I with try maybe next week, very busy.......

Thanks for update

looks like this patch is required.

i did not have any ssl issues without this patch. i have to disable some offloads to avoid ssl errors, i listed the 2 offloads on br-lan i had / have to disable above. even with this patch i still had to disable them or i faced ssl errors (pretty much right away), this patch had no effect on my ssl issues.

but without this patch, my mdns traffic was very very inconsistent. i had serious issues with bridging mdns traffic to the wireless adapters. printers not showing up on android, chromecast not showing up on the laptop, etc. frankly its all a bit beyond me but all i know is that using the "service browser" app in android, the .local mdns entries, 9 out of 10 times would not show up. as soon as i enabled this patch + sysctl entry this behavior stopped. this strange behavior only took place on the wireless adapters... on the ethernet connected devices (eg: my workstation), mdns worked just fine. doing an add printer in windows 10, the printer would pop up right away. just fyi, at least in cups, windows printer discovery is mdns based.

just so we are clear, i spent a good few hours trying all the igmp_spoofing, disabling my firewall right out, etc etc etc. the problem was, this behavior was VERY inconsistent. zero config changes and 10 reboots, and the mdns traffic would work... the next reboot, again no config changes, it would not work.

will report if there are any negatives in the near future.

for the time being, i have added this to my rc.local:

root@OPENWRT-UPSTAIRS:~# cat /etc/rc.local | grep reinit
(sleep 60; /etc/scripts/reinit.sh)&
root@OPENWRT-UPSTAIRS:~# cat /etc/scripts/reinit.sh ;
sysctl -w net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_no_window_check=1;
sleep 1;
ip link set down phy0-ap0;
sleep 1;
ip link set up phy0-ap0;

edit : the down / up of phy0-ap0 because i only use devices where mdns matters on my 5ghz band (phy0-ap0). my 2.4ghz band is only for my iot devices where mdns isn't really relevant. i did not test if its needed or not.

2 Likes

New build.

Revert firmware to WLAN.HK.2.9.0.1-01385

https://openwrt.admincomps.ru/nss/

2 Likes

I'm testing both 02082023 and 31072023 releases and, on both, the AX 5 GHz radio (IPQ8074) has poor performance, on my AX3600. On the 02082023, the noise floor jumps above the signal received (-75dBm!!) using 160 MHz bandwith channels, on the 36th one.

The 31072023, the same radio, after some hours, all clients disconnect seconds after authentication successfully, even on non-DFS channels, such as 157th one.

On this location, no aviation radar, no weather radars nor interference or neighbors are present, with a noise level (on a quorum of other two 5 GHz radios) is well below -105dB. Because is at a remote location, within a rural mountain valley.

The last known "stable" release is the 11052023, on this matter, so far.

Thanks.

Strange, but 20230511 has same firmware WLAN.HK.2.9.0.1-01385 as 20230802
In my environment (internet 800Mbit) max speeds with SpeedTest:
LAN-WAN on all versions 790/790
Wifi-WAN:
20230511 - 680/711
20230802 - 750/789

I'm not assuming the issue is with that firmware. The kernel version between those releases is huge (5.15 vs 6.1) and a there is huge number of changes in-between.

Please check Maximum transmit power.
If 30dbm is not available set same country for ex. PA to all interfaces (radio0, radio1, radio2)

I'm using 20dB and 23dB, on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios, respectively. And, the same country on every single radio.

The configurations are the same between the releases.

Dear @dimfish installed nss-ifb and tc-full, the rest of pkgs are already included in your build, but seems like qdisc nsstbl is missing?

root@OpenWrt:~# insmod nss-ifb nss_dev_name=wan
root@OpenWrt:~# ip link set up nssifb
root@OpenWrt:~# tc qdisc add dev nssifb root handle 1: nsstbl rate 200Mbit burst
 1Mb tc qdisc add dev nssifb parent 1: handle 10: nssfq_codel limit 10240 flows 
1024 quantum 1514 target 5ms interval 100ms set_default
Unknown qdisc "nsstbl", hence option "rate" is unparsable

Someone already asked similar question above: IPQ807X NSS Build - #178 by zek-cmd

Thanks,

Followed instructions, seems like qdiscs are not included for any reason:

root@OpenWrt:~# lsmod|grep qdisc
qca_nss_drv          1060864 16 qca_nss_dtlsmgr,nss_ifb,ecm,qca_nss_tunipip6,qca_nss_tun6rd,qca_nss_crypto,qca_nss_qdisc,qca_nss_vxlanmgr,qca_nss_pptp,qca_nss_pppoe,qca_nss_map_t,qca_nss_lag_mgr,qca_nss_l2tpv2,qca_nss_gre,qca_nss_bridge_mgr,qca_nss_vlan
**qca_nss_qdisc**          94208  **0** 
qca_ssdk             1425408  5 qca_nss_qdisc,qca_nss_bridge_mgr,qca_nss_vlan,qca_nss_drv,qca_nss_dp

my android 13 device cant use ipv6, but set ip link down and up likes you, it works

Yes, that package is installed. No success either:

# insmod nss-ifb nss_dev_name=wan
# ip link set up nssifb
# tc qdisc add dev nssifb root handle 1: nsstbl rate 200Mbit burst 1Mb
Unknown qdisc "nsstbl", hence option "rate" is unparsable

Yes, only seen using Intel wifi cards. About 30mbps upstream speed on speedtest.net, but not in lan iperf3 tests (full speed).

Is this only with NSS builds.
I'm getting around 30-40 Mbps upload with Mediatek WiFi 6 WLAN on my Laptop. I use my own compiled NSS build for QHora-301W (bitthief repo). Will have to try with regular OpenWrt.
@strxno What do you mean with stock build? Is it OpenWrt (without NSS) or it is Xiaomi firmware?

The weirdest thing is making iperf3 thought the WAN works perfectly and with full upstream speed. Just with speedtest.net and fast.com tests the issue appears. And only with my intel wifi cards, not with my Samsung S23 Plus smartphone.

1 Like