Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533

Happy new year!

Have someone experience with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 chip?
I use a USB WIFI adapter with Ralink RT5572 and it runs flawless except the bandwidth is ~35 Mbit/s (20MHz channel) and ~ 70 Mbit/s (40 MHz channel) on 2,4 GHz.

So I thought to get a Mikrotik mAP light with Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 instead and flash OpenWrt to it. What bandwidth can I expect? Is it wort the upgrade?

While you'll probably see a relative improvement and a gain in stability/ reliability, the big performance gain only comes with 802.11ac (or 802.11ax) - but for that the underlying router hardware needs to be capable enough as well. So in practice, you probably want to replace the whole system with an 802.11ac/ wave2 device to get the most out of it (over 5 GHz). If you really need to achieve a significant performance boost for 2.4 GHz, you'd have to look at 802.11ax devices (802.11ac improved the 5 GHz band a lot, but ignored the 2.4 GHz band).

The router HW would not be an issue (Pine A64+). Today I tested the RT5572 adapter on my old Win7 PC with iperf.
I got ~70Mbps on 20 MHz channel, what is the half of the theoretical speed...what would be OK for me.
Where in Linux/OpenWrt the bandwith is quarter (~35Mbps).
So it seems it's a driver issue in general. This thread refers also to that issue.

Problem with a new AP HW is, I don't know how it performs in Linux till I will test it, or, someone can refer to a specific AP where I can be "sure".
BTW my clients have 2,4GHz only.

I did further testing with Linux Mint booted to the same PC. Long story short, I get the same results as in Win7 now! (70 Mbps, 20 MHz channel, 2.4 GHz, 802.11n, 2x2 MIMO, RT5572 AP mode).

So it seems it was fixed with my latest build from master. Thanks to the developers!!!
I'm fine with that result.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.