Quad Cores / 1Gb ram for OpenWrt . Which one to take?

Yeah the networking may be an add on since its using Qualcomm networking per the devwiki:

DDWRT has beta builds:

I am not a fan of DDWRT.

I'm not saying that it's impossible (and the hardware certainly is fast), but it will involve considerable efforts for basically a single device - more than for other, similarly capable platforms.

How about a PC Engines APU4D2 or APU4D4? There's no switch inside, but you'd get 4 independent GE ports you can gather into a bridge. It has 2 or 4 GB RAM and a decent quad core x86 CPU with AES-NI. Though I have no idea about the price in the US, but in the EU you can get even the bigger one with a case and PSU around 160-170โ‚ฌ.

or

For this latest board, is it not possible to load OpenWrt on the SD and boot without beating too much?

Those PC Engines boards look sexy. I was looking at some of the Mini PC motherboards for gaming. One has two coax connectors out the back for antenna's. But, those mini-pc's are expensive. Like around $700 without CPU. Thanks for tip on PC Engines.

1 Like

When using cards of this type you should be sure that they are supported in the future as well. Furthermore, there is little propagation and consequently little feedback between users. But they are certainly attractive.