Qos: priority not working

Hi,

I have question: I'm trying to setup some qos with priorities in openwrt, but it seems to have absolutely no effect. Or more precisely when I setup limitations it works, but when I setup priorities it does not.

My exemple /etc/config/qos file:

config interface 'lan'
        option classgroup 'Default'
        option enabled '1'
        option upload       100000
        option download     100000

config classgroup "Default"
        option classes      "Normal"
        option default      "Normal"

config classify
        option target           "prio"
        option srchost          "192.168.16.180"

config class "Normal"
        option priority    6

config class "prio"
        option priority    1

With this, when I start 2 speed tests with one computer in 192.168.16.180 and another in 192.168.16.10, I don't see any major difference regarding how the throughput is shared.

Any idea?

• I don't see an interface setting for WAN
  • I don't see this applied to WAN
  • You assigned 14% priority to 192.168.16.180 and called it "prio"??? (if I did the math from the Wiki correctly, you attempted to assign only 1/7th of the bandwidth anyway)
    • (I think you should flip the 6 and 1)

EDIT:

I assumed the server(s) are on WAN.

Thank's a lot for your anwser:

I witched to

config interface 'lan'
        option enabled '1'

config interface 'wan'
        option enabled '1'

config classgroup "Default"
        option classes      "Normal"
        option default      "Normal"

config classify
        option target           "prio"
        option srchost          "192.168.1.128"

config class "Normal"
        option priority    6

config class "prio"
        option priority    1

Exact same behaviour, no apparent difference in priority between the 2 ips.

23 days later...?

???

:confused:

I never suggested that you change IPs - and I have no clue from your description why you think this setting fixes anything in your Orginal Post. In fact you never explained this IP in your config (in addition, you never explained the IP 192.168.16.10 either - yet you note you performed a speed test there).

23 days later...?

Very sorry I did not see that you replied before. And I was kind of giving up with this, because whatever I try I never succeed in getting actual prioritization.

It's just that I tested on an other hardware (to make sure it's not hardware related) that had another ip pool configured. Changing ip was just a coincidence.

But basically 192.168.16.10 or 192.168.1.128 is the IP of one of the two testing device that I have on lan, which I would like to prioritize in comparison with the other device that has an other ip address on lan.

(I think you should flip the 6 and 1)

I did it without result.

Perhaps you don't understand what the IP in the QoS config actually does...it's definitely not a coincidence that it failed to work.

• Can you explain more how 192.168.16.10 and 192.168.1.128 are on the same LAN?
  • Can you try setting this up using the web GUI instead - the package to install is luci-app-qos
  • Where's the config?!?!

(I really think you're having an issue setting up the basic config.)