QoS and VPN for IPTV

Yes, that's useful information, unfortunately you might not like what you hear. The powerline devices use VDSL modulation to send data, the same kind of VDSL modulation that your modem uses to send data down the copper wires to the VDSLAM box on the street in your neighborhood where the fiber actually is... and they are known to interfere with each other! This might be the main source of your TV streaming issue :frowning:

How does it work after entering the text and save / apply the config?

I'll try tomorrow, as soon as I get back from work...and I'll let you know how it works :+1:

Good catch. Most often powerplant devices cause problems on the vdsl link, which should be visible on the modems detailed link statistics page (most modems/router I know have a, sometimes hidden, page to show DSL interface statistics like CRC errors) would be interesting to see these....

I have only this:

Modalità DSL

ITU-T G.993.2 Annex B (VDSL2)

Lo stato della linea DSL

Bit rate corrente

21600 [kbps] / 107999 [kbps]

G.INP

/

Massimo bit rate ottenibile

38250 [kbps] / 114465 [kbps]

Margine di rumore

13.6 [dB] / 13.9 [dB]

Potenza trasmessa in linea

-24.7 [dBm] / 12.7 [dBm]

Ritardo effettivo

0 [ms] / 0 [ms]

Protezione Rumore Impulse

113 [DMT symbols] / 111 [DMT symbols]

attenuazione loop

0.9 [dB] / 2.3 [dB]

##### Contatori PM (vicino estremità) 15 min

ES

SES

FEC

CV

LPR

UAS

Reinizializzazioni

n.a.

inizializzazioni non riusciti

##### Contatori PM (vicino estremità) 24 h

ES

SES

FEC

CV

LPR

UAS

Reinizializzazioni

n.a.

##### Contatori PM (vicino estremità) inizio corrente

ES

SES

FEC

CV

LPR

UAS

Reinizializzazioni

n.a.

##### Contatori PM (vicino estremità) ultimo inizio

ES

SES

FEC

CV

LPR

UAS

Reinizializzazioni

n.a.

<small>NASCONDI CONTROLLI AVANZATI</small>

<small>Ethernet WAN</small>

Pacchetti totale

0 0

Byte totali

*0 B*   *0 B*

Totale Discarded

In the next few days I will replace the provider's modem, a tremendous Technicolor TG789VAC, with a powerful Fritz Box 7490...because the Technicolor modem has a lot of problems...other TIM providers users who had problems with powerlines have solved with a better modem

This seems innocuous regarding the error counters.

From your Sync
21600 [kbps] / 107999 [kbps]
I believe your shaper settings of
option download '90000'
option upload '18000'

seem conservative but correct (unless your ISP uses a traffic shaper at its BRAS/BNG)

My speed it's locked at 95/20...beyond these values I never went

Now I'm trying with the values recommended by you...in the meantime I also bought a new Fritz Box modem because the Technicolor, in front of openwrt Linksys, has bothered me (often stuck)

With the settings you gave me and with the new modem (Fritz Box 7590) the situation has improved slightly...but I would still like to have a setting that allows me to prioritize one device rather than another :roll_eyes:

Have a look over at https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ultimate-sqm-settings-layer-cake-dscp-marks/25832 to get ideas how to use veth devices to make the ingress traffic amendable to setting DSCPs which in turn should allow to prirotize ingress packets based on arbitrary iptables properties like the internal IP address; once you got that making a rule to change the DSCP completely for an internal host becomes relatively easy. I am not sure whether that is going to work well with per-internal-IP-fairness though, but it might be closer to what you desire.

1 Like

If you have just a few devices that need to be given top priority, doing it this way and turning off per internal ip fairness would probably work fine. You'll still get per-flow fairness for the lower priority machines at least, and your TV or gaming box or whatever will get highest priority.

This settings only from command line? I'm basic user :pensive:

Yes, that has not been integrated with any GUI, this is why I recommended to look into the nft-qos package as that seems to have a GUI. But I am still wondering about the powerlan devices. Could you replace these temporarily with a direct ethernet cable, just to rule out that this contributes to your issues?

I'm planing to make GUI for the scripts, this will make much easier for basic users.
But i need a lot of help to do a such thing.

3 Likes

@hollywood_jack
I can make srcipt setup all things for you, you don't have to use commandline, also you can make script run at
startup. but i need to know some info about your case.

Good...ask me :+1:t4:

1.your connection speed up/down.
2.your mag ip address.
3.do you connect your mag via wifi or via cable?
4.do you want to just prioritize your MAG or the whole of your network (i mean give more priority for voip/mag/games,streaming services like youtube and netflix,less priority for downloads/torrents)?
5.your wan connection name eg. pppoe-wan ?
6. your current sqm config.
7.you have to install the following packages:

opkg update
opkg install kmod-veth iptables-mod-conntrack-extra iptables-mod-extra iptables-mod-ipopt iptables-mod-nat-extra ip-full ipset

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

This is my setup: I have a Fritz!Box 7530 for modem and voip..."on cascade" I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS (LAN 1 of Fritz!Box modem with WAN of Linksys) with openwrt firmware...Linksys it's on "EXPOSED HOST" on Fritz!Box...all devices are attached (wired and wifi) to the Linksys...Fritz!Box LAN 192.168.178.0, Linksys LAN 10.10.10.0

1. my connection speed detected on dslreports (after SQM QoS settings): 95/19

2. MAG IP Address...here I have a doubt...because the Linksys detects me two IP addresses, one is related to the mac address of the MAG and the other I dont know if it's related to MAG, I think, I have a this moment only two devices connected, my pc desktop and the MAG (see the picture)...the MAG is connected via powerlines to the Linksys...the mac address of MAG corresponds to the IP 10.10.10.171

3. MAG connected via powerline

4. now I want to give priority to my MAG...and immediately afterwards to my Desktop PC (IP 10.10.10.146), if possible

5. interface name eth1.2, I think (see the picture)

6. SQM QoS configuration...interface eth1.2...down/up 100/20...cake, piece_of_cake.qos...SQUASH, nat dual-dsthost, nat dual-srchost...ethernet with overhead, 26 byte

7. OK :+1:

Thank you for support...thank you all for your help

I will respond to you tomorrow keep eye on!
i need the sqm config listed here so i can edited for you!, so you will copy/paste.

How can I copy and paste here? Which command?