QoS and VPN for IPTV

But instead of all that pain, it's better to use network cable to connect devices to router.
One possible thing if router is far from devices and person want to keep things tidy, he can put a switch near devices then wire devices to the switch and one wire goes to router instead of many wires from router to devices.
In case that router is far away more than 100m then a fiber can be used!

There are lots of cases where running wires just isn't a reasonable possibility. Like if you have to drill through a concrete floor to bring the cable to the basement or whatever.

2 Likes

I can say that sqm/cake and qos script is robust, i just ran a torrent with more than 188 active connections, and i'm still able to surf fast on the same machine and on my phone!

Thinking of this I just read a thread in a different forum, where someone in a similar situation re-purposed an existing 8 wire telephone cable for Gbps-ethernet and it works (by virtue of being a short enough run, and the telephone-wire consisting out of twisted pairs). Or maybe a coaxial cable exists that can be pressed into duty, but I admit that PLC for all its interference issues has a great neatness and convenience factor, so I fully understand @hollywood_jack not being super exited about replacing that (and all I propose is to test without if the stuttering video issue is still not solved than PLC is not the culprit anyway).

I have had video issues over the PLC that were essentially due to unstable bandwidth on the PLC. These devices seem to be a little like WiFi in that they adjust their modulation to the existing signal to noise and demand levels. The result is that particularly with DASH which wants to slam packets at max speeds at about half duty cycle... you could get real line quality issues with bufferbloat on the PLC link itself. This is particularly true if say you're DASHing at 100Mbps bursts and suddenly someone turns on a microwave or your refrigerator kicks in or whatever and the line speed drops to say 40Mbps and instead of 10ms of bufferbloat on the link you suddenly have 200 or 400ms for a while. (the modems themselves seem to have buffers)

My solution was to put a policer on the port in my managed switch so that it never egressed more than 40Mbps, and then on the far end of the line I have a wifi AP which I also repurposed as an ethernet bridge with SQM running on egress on eth0.1 and on eth0.2 so that both directions are shaped to 30Mbps. My PLC never goes this low, so it's always operating in the low-buffer zone.

The end result was my latency spikes dropped from say 800ms to something like 10ms and the link never stutters and I never miss soccer goals on my IPTV box.

Strangely, the moral of the story is that the link might be too fast (but only part of the time) and so the IPTV can't tune its bandwidth usage properly.

1 Like

Now I have another problem...I cannot configure the PPPoE connection on my linksys because I can not configurate the eth1.835 interface as explained here

What if I created an exclusive VLAN for MAG and another for all other devices? I would give the first VLAN 70/10 and the other (with all the other devices) 130/10...all this creating two instances in SQM QoS...so I would have 3 instances in SQM, one for the bufferbloat and the other two for the priority...it's possible or I said nonsense?

This is possible but not really efficient since your other vlan won't be able to use the extra bandwidth when the TV is not using it.

I think you didn't tried my script at all!
after setup everything, you should do "./etc/config/qos.sh" from terminal!

I have not tried it yet, it's true...because I'm doing further tests...I'll try it this week...but at the same time I'm looking for a solution that allows me to modify the parameters myself in a simple way (I'm a real newbie)

At the moment, i don't think there's a solution that have a parameters to modify, it's just simple , run and
forget about it.

1 Like

Hi...I tried your script and the situation has improved, slightly...now I would like to try to use a VPN because I was told that with a VPN maybe I can improve the buffering...after configuring Open VPN, can I continue to use your script as it is? And which VPN service would you recommend for streaming? Nord VPN it's good?

Hi
Yes you can still use my script on VPN(it's also depend on VPN type).

I don't know, maybe other could help!

This is the setup for Nord VPN

This will work with the script!

1 Like

@hollywood_jack you may want to enable SQM on the VPN egress since the DSCP tags should be honored there whereas shaping the raw encrypted packets will not distinguish between them.

How can I do this?

just use the LUCI gui to add an SQM attached to the tun0 interface or whatever it's called for your VPN. use an egress queue speed but not an ingress queue.

Ok...but what egress queue speed should I set?

Similar to your upload speed I think, but probably some different overheads, and beware crypto takes a lot of CPU so it could be an issue.