Problems with stubby and video streaming on my Smart TV

Hello OpenWrt community!

Couple of weeks ago I decided to finally join you and installed OpenWrt on my TP-Link Archer C6. So consider me to be an absolute beginner. Really happy to learn something new here.

One of the things I decided to configure is DNS-over-TLS. After reading through forums and google I figured that doing it with stubby is the most beginner-friendly approach.

I made all my configuration though LuCI as described in https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/stubby/files/README.md

Mostly things seem to work fine except one weird issue. After this setup video streaming stopped working on my Smart TV. I've check in 2 apps: Kinopoisk (local Russian Netflix alternative) and Apple TV. Both apps were able to load fine and show me the catalog, but they would never start streaming anything I'd like to play (just eternal buffering and then error). Surprisingly Kinopoisk mobile app worked just fine on my phone connected to the same wi-fi.

I think that stubby is indeed the problem because after I reverted all the configurations everything started to work normally.

It would be great if somebody could help me diagnose my problem and fix it. The only guess I am having so far that it's somehow connected to udp traffic (video streaming is udp, right?), but I have zero idea why it is working through my phone than.

link: Stubby or unbound fo DoT (19.07)? - #2 by EricLuehrsen

This might be the cause of your issue.
The default Stubby configuration uses only Cloudflare DNS forwarder:

config resolver
       option address '1.1.1.1'
       option tls_auth_name 'cloudflare-dns.com'

config resolver
       option address '1.0.0.1'
       option tls_auth_name 'cloudflare-dns.com'

The idea is to remove Cloudflare forwarders from Stubby config and replace them with Google forwarders.
After that it could be possible that you will be able to get location-specific content (video streaming servers will resolve to location-specific CDN address).

nano /etc/config/stubby

Edit resolver sections:

config resolver
       option address '8.8.8.8'
       option tls_auth_name 'dns.google'

config resolver
       option address '8.8.4.4'
       option tls_auth_name 'dns.google'

Restart Stubby to apply changes:

/etc/init.d/stubby restart

1 Like