Problems with some (google?) sites, after LEDE install on wrt1900 acs

H everyone.

I have installed LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 on my Linksys wrt1900 acs (after running the Linksys firmware since forever), and am new to LEDE.

I'm connected to the internet, wireless is working and so on, but some selected sites seem to not be working, and I really can't figure out why, or how to troubleshoot further, so now I'm asking for help here.

Troublesome sites include google.com and youtube.com, where I get a
"ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" error in Chromium.
Sometimes the sites will load after a while, sometimes not.

I can ping google just fine. The problem is both on my wired and wireless computers.

My gut feeling is that there is some strange DNS thing going on, but that is just my guess.

What I'm looking for is either someone to tell me that it is a known issue (although I think I have been through the forum posts and can't find any similar issues), or input as to how I troubleshoot / diagnose this further.

Thanks in advance for your time.

If you have Adblock installed, I've seen others mention that some of the lists may cause problems, although I can't remember which ones unfortunately. I use the default lists (adaway/disconnect/yoyo) and haven't noticed any problems, adguard also seems to work well with no problems.

The reported error is not adblock related. Domains blocked by adblock return NXDOMAIN and you'll receive "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in chromium, not a timeout error.

If you can ping sites (and it does not take too long to respond), then it does not look like a DNS issue. I would first try to download from the router (using wget or curl), to see if the problem is in the external network or the internal network.

It might be a routing problem. Do you have a modem or some other device on the WAN side of the router? Make sure that the router's LAN and WAN do not use the same subnet (LEDE default for LAN is 192.168.1.x). When the router picks up its own WAN address with DHCP, it might get an address from the 192.168.1.x subnet if the next device assigns address from that space. (But that should affect all sites, randomly, not just specific ones.)

Other guess is some faulty proxy service at your ISP, or your anti-virus program providing a "smart sreach" filtering that times out. Or something like that.

Chrome will try to use QUIC (HTTPS over UDP) for google services (including youtube). Make sure that you're not blocking UDP traffic on port 443 somehow. Chrome should fallback to regular HTTPS over TCP if no QUIC connection can be established but i've seen cases were this doesn't work very well.

Does the issue occur with other browsers? (IE, Firefox etc.)

Hi all, thanks for your time and feedback.

I think I have found a solution now, in part thanks to your replies.

I do in fact have a moden between the wireless router and the internet, and it was the cause of the issue.
A quick reboot of the modem, and everything works (so far - fingers crossed), so the issue was not with the router or LEDE, but my modem.

What during the installation of LEDE on the router that triggered the modem I don't know (and don't have time / skillset to figure out).
If anyone runs into similar problems, the modem in question is a Technicolor EPC3949.

Cheers!

When connecting to a website, if Google Chrome browser fails to fetch the website to the browser, it throws an error saying "This site can't be reached Error" – ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. It means the server is taking too much time to replying. The main reason behind this error is your computer can’t be able to access the internet connection or maybe something blocking your network to establishing a connection. Apart from the Network issue, there can be multiple reasons why this error shows up. Before going to any fix, please make sure the server you want to open is exist. If server exist, there are numerous solutions which can be used to solve this error.

Clear your Chrome browsing data
Check your Network Cables, Restart your Router and Reconnect
Check your Windows Host File
Remove Proxy
Flush DNS and reset TCP/IP
Run Chrome Cleanup Tool