Problem dnsmasq! (can't configure!)

unbound I read that you can't set "zones"

Everything works. I'm just having difficulty getting it to work "as I say" (the problem of the post). Everything else works fine

Pretty sure that ain't the case. readme

1 Like

So I'll try and let you know.

Are you routing anything through the R4s? If it is being used as a server on the LAN, you should connect its existing LAN interface to the home network (like a dumb AP would be) and not use the WAN interface.

how do you test it? from a client connecting pi4, from pi4 itself? from lan network, from wan?

but first you should fix your network:

• wan is wan not 'another lan port'. if you want pi4 be part of your lan and provide service to your lan client but not use as an ISP facing router configure it as dumb ap (check wiki)
  • if your pi4 is a client to your other router connected via wan port why you define dhcp scope on pi4? it is a client should receive an ip from your main router
  • it is unclear: what do you mean on interface wan/wifi? wifi is usually used within lan. you seem to use these terms differently as usual
1 Like

Forgive me, maybe I didn't explain myself well (since I don't speak English). First of all I would like to clarify the key point of this post. Only the DNS doesn't work... but not because of network problems, but because of the messed up configuration found on dnsmasq (among other things, the Luci interface doesn't help at all!). Everything else is working fine including the network...have been using it for almost a year now. Having made this small premise, I'll explain the situation a bit.
The NanoPI R4S has two LAN ports (by convention, one of the ports is called WAN on the case...but it's a lan. Then you decide on openwrt how to use it). So I used them like this. At home I have two networks: a private one with just the switch, and the main home router providing internet connectivity.
I connected the first LAN port of the NanoPI R4S to my private switch, while the other LAN port I connected to my home router.
So I have two networks set up like this (on R4S Openwrt): LAN1 (192.168.1.0/24) - LAN2 (192.168.2.0/24).
Now you ask yourself... what do you need the Pi R4S for? Simply for two things:

• Connect my private network (switch only) to the internet.
  • Use R4S as an advertising blocker ONLY on your home wifi network. But to do this, I necessarily had to create a DHCP server and obviously the DNS (because the router I have is literally shit). The problem was right here. How the heck do you configure dnsmasq DNS on openwrt?

Update: @anomeome I removed that dnsmasq mess and now I'm on unbound. I have to say much better, lighter than dnsmasq and above all it takes advantage of the DNS cache (dnsmasq seemed not to do it before). Now there's just one small problem. When I set (always in my private network) "personal" hostnames for my internal machines, these names are also "resolved" by the wifi, i.e. on the 192.168.1.0/24 network). How can I split these names on unbound and have them resolve only and exclusively on the private network 192.168.2.0/24?