Problem creating two seperated Wifis with a Linksys WRT32X behind FritzBox

Hi,

I just bought a Linksys WRT32X and installed OpenWRT on it. Now I want to create two seperate Wifis on it. But as I'm new to OpenWRT, I'm not able to make it work.

Here is what I have done at this point:

Starting point:
Linksys WRT32X with fresh OpenWRT installation.
Connected the WAN-Port of the WRT32X with one of the LAN-Ports from my FritzBox (6490 Cable).

**Step 1:**
Create Wifis: A_2.4 and B_2.4
Create seperate Interfaces for A and B

**Step 2:** 
Configure the interfaces A and B

*Interface A:*
Protocoll "Static adress"
IPv4 adress 192.168.2.1
IPv4 netmask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 gateway 192.168.2.1
Use custom DNS servers 8.8.8.8
DHCP enabled
Create Firewall Zone: A

*Interface B:* 
Protocoll "Static adress"
IPv4 adress 192.168.3.1
IPv4 netmask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 gateway 192.168.3.1
Use custom DNS servers 8.8.8.8
DHCP enabled
Create Firewall Zone: B

**Step 3:**
Configure Firewall

*Zone A:*
Input: accept
Output: accept
Forward: reject
Masquerading: checked
MSS clamping: unchecked
Covered Networks: A
Allow forward to destination zones: A - checked

Traffic Rules - New source NAT:
Name: Allow-A-Internet
Source Zone: A
destination zone: lan
To source IP: 192.168.178.32 (eth1.2)

*Zone B:*
Input: accept
Output: accept
Forward: reject
Masquerading: checked
MSS clamping: unchecked
Covered Networks: B
Allow forward to destination zones: B - checked

Traffic Rules - New source NAT:
Name: Allow-B-Internet
Source Zone: B
destination zone: lan
To source IP: 192.168.178.32 (eth1.2)

Then I reboot the Linksys router and connect my smartphone with one of the wifis. The IP-configuration on my smarthpone seems to be okay, but there is no connection to the internet.

I use LuCI to configure this setup and as I'm just at day 2 of my OpenWRT career, I used some tutorials I found on the internet for this configuration.

I think you guys here are more clever than I am and may know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :wink:

Well, for starter, gateway is wrong. This is the gateway for your router not for its clients. If you must put it it should be your upstream router.

Or you can just remove it. You could also remove the DNS.

Okay I removed DNS now and tried 192.168.178.1 as Gateway first and then removed it completely, but it is still not working.

Well, he thing is that WiFi (the first one at least) should work out of the box. So I'm not sure what you have changed exactly if none of your WiFis is working.

You could rest to default config, try the WiFi that's on the bridge first, then create a separate one of you like (unless for some reason you want both WiFis separate form the default LAN bridge.

Or you may post the output of the following commands to help with figuring out what's wrong with the current config. You may hide or mask-out any MAC addresses.

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/firewall
cat /etc/config/dhcp

Some more questions: do the clients get proper IP? Can you ping form the client a public IP address?

First get working a regular router configuration. The LAN will have your trusted wifi users. The WAN is the connection to the FritzBox. In the firewall lan forwards to wan, and wan has masquerade and mtu_fix set. This is the default configuration, as long as your LAN and WAN subnets don't conflict, it will work.

Notably there is no DNS or gateway set in the lan network. It is automatically inherited from the WAN which is usually DHCP.

Once you understand all of this you can add a guest network. This operates in parallel to the LAN and forwards out to the wan. It's a separate network with a third IP range (separate from lan and wan), a third firewall zone, and a DHCP server. The idea is that guests can't reach your LAN but they can reach the Internet.

The final step is to add some firewall rules so that guests can't log in to your router or the Fritzbox. This can be done by blocking all private IPs except for DNS and DHCP services.

I resetted my router now and began with a regular configuration, as you mentioned. Then I made little steps to the setup I wanted and now it is working great. I don't know where I made a mistake before, but now I got a working configuration in a backup file and can do some experiments to understand OpenWRT better. Thanks a lot for your help!

2 Likes