Problem "Connected without internet" on AX mode (Totolink X5000R)

Hi all,

I am using router Totolink X5000R with OpenWRT (now 22.03 version and 21.02 before)
All devices in my home work fine, except some devices that support wifi 6 (such as samsung galaxy S22 and my computer with wifi card "Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200").
They often have problem "Connected without internet" after connecting and using normally for a while with the router.
On the phone, I can see this status in wifi setting. And with the computer, I can't access internet or the internet is very slow (Download and upload speed are only about 1-5Mbps when do speedtest)

Is this a bug in the configuration or software? Has anyone have this same problem with me?
Please give me some suggestion in this case

Thanks in advance,

As for your computer, if you are on windows 10/11, you might want to install the newest ax200 wireless card driver manually (via the device manager), which you can find here. If you are on Linux, you will receive driver updates, once your distribution moves to a newer kernel. Your Android phone will be updated with newest drivers once you update Android to the newest version.

Do you have walls or far distance in between your devices? Many people have experienced drop of wifi speed with a combination that entails using AX, having walls inbetween devices and far distance. Under these conditions, ac seems to offer better speed. See here: 802.11ax worse than 802.11ac with mt76 driver? - #98 by Lynx You could try switching to 802.11ac protocol as a test.

What is your WiFi config?

I will update driver for my computer and observe this problem. And my phone is updated to the lastest software and still have the problem.
Do you have walls or far distance in between your devices? -> No, they are the same room and when having this problem, the ping time from my device to router is very high (> 1000ms), while internet connection from router is OK. I only reconnect to the router, then my phone and computer will have internet connection as normal. I think my problem is disconnected to router suddenly in AX transmission line.
For the switching to 802.11ac protocol, I will try it and update the result.

Hi IIeachii,

My file /etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path '1e140000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:02:00.0'
	option band '2g'
	option country 'VN'
	option noscan '1'
	option htmode 'HE40'
	option channel 'auto'
	option cell_density '0'
	option disabled '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'mywifi@2022'
	option ssid 'mywifi 22.03'
	option disabled '1'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path '1e140000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:02:00.0+1'
	option band '5g'
	option country 'VN'
	option cell_density '0'
	option channel 'auto'
	option htmode 'HE80'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'mywifi@2022'
	option ssid 'mywifi 22.03'

First, I would verify that you are using 5.4 Ghz by using different SSID names.

OpenWrt doesn't have "band steering" technology.

I am using one SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for the purpose of automatic connection switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, when near the router my phone will connect to the 5GHz band, and 2.4Ghz when connected at a distance. I see this feature in the stock firmware.
@lleachii Is there any problem with this configuration?

Just to note again:

I would test using another SSID.

Ok @lleachii . I noted it. And with the above wifi config, I only enable SSID on the 5GHz band.
I am using only one SSID on 5GHz band and still have the problem.
Thanks

1 Like

I've got the same problem with Xiaomi AX 3600

Hi @Catfriend1
Which client devices are having this problem? All devices connected to Xiaomi AX3600 or some devices?
Can you try set 'option disassoc_low_ack' to '0'?

I already did that but it did not help. ( Xiaomi AX3600: (Client) Intel AX210NGW does not connect to radio1 (IPQ8074 802.11acaxn) - #23 by ThiloteE )
Only wifi 6 capable devices are affected . They have intel ax210ngw wireless cards. If i switch them to ac only it works reliable.

This problem was gone for a while. Since upgrading to yesterday's snapshot on ax3600, it's appearing again :-(.
I had to work around by setting Windows Intel WiFi driver from ax to ac mode.

Still happening in latest snapshot.

Updated the driver from Intel but the problem is still ocurring. https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wi-Fi-6E-AX210-160MHz-frequent-disconnection/td-p/1419769