Problem configuring kmod-usb-net

I am trying to install LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 r3435-65eec8bd5f / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.152.82987-7f6fc16) onto Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 and it works so far except now I am trying to get my USB 2 ethernet dongle to work.

I tried installing kmod-usb-net and am getting this result:

Package kmod-usb-net (4.4.71-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring kmod-usb-net.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-net" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-net.postinst returned 255.

Inside the syslog I also see:
Fri Aug 25 17:17:46 2017 daemon.err modprobe: failed to find a module named usbnet

Also, how do I figure out which other module I need, I see there are a lot more kmod-usb-net-* packages.

I checked with dmesg and I see that usbcore is apparently using some MSOCHIP us-ethernet-driver so most probably I ssume my usb2ethernet dongle is the issue.
Is there a list of compatble devices available as I don't mind buying another adapter.

Same problem here on same device. Isn't there any fix for this bug?

failed to find a module named usbnet

root@LEDE:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch
Installing usb-modeswitch (2017-05-24-453da8e5-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/packages/arm_cortex-a53_neon-vfpv4/base/usb-modeswitch_2017-05-24-453da8e5-1_arm_cortex-a53_neon-vfpv4.ipk
Configuring kmod-usb-net.
failed to find a module named usbnet
Configuring usb-modeswitch.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-net" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-net.postinst returned 255.

I'm getting the same problem with an Astrotek USB-LAN adapter. "Can't find module usbnet". And no ethernet interface shows under ifconfig. Using Raspbian on an RPi 3 it is found ok as eth1, using modules asix and libphy. On a different system (Intel) it is also recognised, using modules mii, r8169, usbnet and asix. Anyone know where I should be looking for the appropriate modules? Will building from scratch help?

TIA, Jan

This has been identified asbug FS#893 - LEDE 17.01.2 rpi-3 kmod-usb-net package issues. usbnet apparently was hard compiled into the kernel while kmod-usb-net expects to find it as a module. I guess it won't be fixed until the next release of LEDE comes out. I tried the experimental package as of 14 January, and couldn't get it to boot, so that route is out for now. Back to building an RPi router from scratch...