Problem accessing LuCI in Vbox VM from LAN

Hi guys,

I decided to use my Acemagician T8 Plus as a Media Center and as router with OpenWRT in a VM with VirtualBox.

I followed this guide to configure it as it says
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/virtualbox-vm

I do have internet, have updated lists, installed htop, etc. so "default" config is ok.
The network is configured like this:

uci show network
network.loopback=interface
network.loopback.device='lo'
network.loopback.proto='static'
network.loopback.ipaddr='127.0.0.1'
network.loopback.netmask='255.0.0.0'
network.globals=globals
network.globals.ula_prefix='fd2f:8a0b:5c99::/48'
network.@device[0]=device
network.@device[0].name='br-lan'
network.@device[0].type='bridge'
network.@device[0].ports='eth0'
network.mng=interface
network.mng.device='br-lan'
network.mng.proto='static'
network.mng.netmask='255.255.255.0'
network.mng.gateway='192.168.1.1'
network.mng.ipaddr='192.168.56.2'
network.wan=interface
network.wan.device='eth1'
network.wan.proto='dhcp'
network.lan=interface
network.lan.device='eth2'
network.lan.proto='dhcp'

At this point, i want to connect to that VM from anyway in the LAN or even WAN, but lets start with LAN
I followed this steps in the guide:

You can also have 2 physical network interfaces on your main operating system that is hosting the virtual machine. In this case
Use one Network Adapter as WAN and in VirtualBox you select Bridged Adapter with Promiscuous Mode to Deny
Use the other Network Adapter as LAN and in VirtualBox you select Bridged Adapter with Promiscuous Mode to
Deny if you don't want to expose bridged virtual networks to your physical network
Allow All if you want to connect your bridged virtual network to your physical network

But i cannot access LuCI from another PC in the LAN, i just can access if im in the same host that contains the VM.

I think im missing some config with VBox.

If any info is missing please, let me know and ill answer as fast as i can.

Could someone give me some light in this?

Thanks a lot.

Did I understand correctly that your box has two physical Ethernet connections and you want to use one as WAN and one as LAN?

Can you post a screenshot of your VirtualBox Ethernet configuration, both adapters.

I'm also surprised that your interfaces in OpenWrt are eth1 and eth2 and not eth0 and eth1?

I'm unsure of the configuration needed in OpenWrt itself, but you will definitely need a Bridged Adapter, just as the guide you linked suggests as an optional step for eth2 in https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/virtualbox-vm#vm_setup

EDIT: I'm blind, I actually see that you've set up eth2. I just configured this on my VM I use for dev purposes. Your network config looks almost correct, but you need to assign the interface to a firewall zone that accepts input (I created a new one called lan), that way I was able to access LuCI from my phone, connected to my WiFi, to my VM running on my computer on the wired network.

That's correct

S1

S2

S3

The screenshots are in Spanish, but "Puente" = Bridge and "Solo Anfitrión" = Host only

I think that is because there is a Host Only adapter in the VM, but im not sure.

Only accept input? And what interface?
I will try anyways.

EDIT:
Here is the solution:

Thanks a lot dannil and andyboeh, im still familiarizing with OpenWRT and all its things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.