I have a network of 4 Linksys WRT3200ACM routers, all of which have OpenWRT installed on them. One is the primary router connected to the modem from my ISP. The other 3 are setup as access points. I started with the primary router and first access point last year, and they have been working flawlessly since.
However ever since I setup the final 2 access points following the same instructions, I have had continual issues with them. The Wi-Fi connection to devices drops continually, and works sluggishly when it does connect and then at other times works much better.
Not sure if this is connected or a different problem, but on my iPad and iPhone under Wi-Fi it shows an error of ‘Privacy Warning’ and ‘This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic’
The SSID for these new 2 access points is different from the SSID on the first 2 router/AP, not sure if this would cause the issues I’m having?
No both the main router, and the first access point that I setup last year don’t have either privacy warnings, or any of the other issues I’m having. Those 2 have worked consistently with no drops in connection or any other issues, it’s only the 2 newer APs I’ve added that are having this issue…they are all daisychained, so ethernet runs from primary router to first AP that is working well then onto the others.
I did just notice that the privacy warning only appears for the 2G band…the 5G network when I switch to that doesn’t give me that error. Although both have been having the other Wi-Fi issues like dropping connection etc.
I suggest you use 19.07.x on the problem APs as well. Wait until wifi on 21.02 gets stable (or better). As for ios privacy issues, it shouldn't affect anything but I think enabling DoT or DoH might fix it. Try changing SSID on problem APs to confirm this theory.
Ok thanks that makes sense, what would be the recommended way to downgrade openwrt to a previous version? It was a fresh install of this new version when I bought the routers, not an upgrade of previous versions…
Wanted to jump back on and say thank you as it is all working flawlessly now! to confirm: it was the 21.02 software version that was causing all the issues I was having…I first of all tried upgrading to the latest version (21.02.1) to see if that worked better, but the issues continued. So I then downgraded to 19.07.7 on both of the problem APs and they have now worked for 4 days with no issues at all.
Also for anyone who reads this and has the same issue, I didn’t end up having to boot to the original OEM software or anything like that, I was able to go to System>Backup/Flash Firmware and upload the older version there and it installed with no issues. I did however make sure to not check the save configuration boxes, so I started with a fresh install of the older version and setup the APs from scratch.