PreBuild OpenWrt Router from the Bay

First of all, I live in Germany and have a Telekom 100mbit VDSL Internet with IPTV (SetTopBox MagentaTV and IPTelefony/VoIP, dont know if that is right in English).
I have a well optimized Homenetwork/Mesh with my AVM Fritzbox 7490...
I am a PlayStation-Gamer but even with a stable ping of 20, i have a lot of Hitreg/Hitdetection-Problems and First-Shot-First-Die Moments... Killcam always shows my problems, my Reaction Time and InputLag Hardware is not the Problem... :frowning:
I tryed nearly all Tips from Internet (Even with AVM Pseudo-Prioritizing(i dont want to call it Fritzbox-QoS), I set PS4 at static IP, ExposedHost, all Ports opened... I changed MTU size, It was better, but not perfect...

I googled and always keywords for the fix of my Problem was:
"SQM with fq_codel/cake, QoS"
Short: the AVM FB 7490 cant handle those things and i think it is not for gaming cuz its like a 100ps motor, but its throttled at 10PS only for Gaming or Casual-People... Fact for me, i need a OpenWRT-flashed Router, only for the PS4 - beside that I dont want to loose the function of my IPTV and IPTelefony. I saw v19.07 preflashed Router on the Bay, started at 30€, what is pretty cheap compared to a Netduma Router...
Which Router do you prefer for my Setting (100mbit with cable on my ps4 is enough, WiFi for other Devices i want to use my Fritzbox Homenetwork/Mesh)
My negative thoughts on this:
If i put the OpenWRT router BEFORE my Fritzbox, i loose IPTV/IPTelefony.
If i put the OpenWRT router AFTER my Fritzbox, all the traffic get through the Fritzbox -> no benefit

I hope you can help me, nearly one year for try to fix this but without new router, no chance :frowning:

This is not correct, the AVM Fritz!Box can be configured in "IPoE mode" as a(n ethernet) client (using its LAN1 port) to the OpenWrt router, in order to handle your VoIP needs (acting as SIP pbx, voice box, SIP ATA and DECT base). IPTV would have to sorted on the OpenWrt router instead, but afaik that 'just' amounts to setting up the correct VLANs.

For this to work, you'd just need a new VDSL2/ vectoring capable modem and a fast enough OpenWrt router (QoS/ SQM needs considerable CPU resources). Yes there are a few lantiq VRX2xx based modem-routers with OpenWrt support (the BT Home Hub 5 Type A comes to mind), but those aren't fast enough to do SQM at 100/40 MBit/s - so you need to separate both tasks (one dedicated VDSL modem in bridge mode, which can be running OpenWrt, but doesn't need to - and one fast OpenWrt router terminating the PPPoE session and doing SQM). While you can find OpenWrt supported VDSL2+vectoring (profile 17b, NOT super-vectoring) modems rather cheaply (starting at 5-20 EUR, usually a little more for the pre-flashed BT Home Hub 5 Type A), a capable router apt for PPPoE/ NAT/ SQM at 100 MBit/s will be slightly more expensive than that.

Ok
What if i buy me a single Modem like a DrayTek Vigor 130 or 165 and put that before the Fritzbox and my PS4 directly on the Modem?

Alternative I found a few Routers who are compatibel for OpenWRT:
48 Euro - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
40 Euro - NETGEAR WNDR3700
35 Euro - D-team D2 Newifi3 1200M
35 Euro - OpenWRT BT Home Hub 5 (not fast)
30 Euro - OpenWRT BT plusnet Hub
27 Euro - Netgear R6300

What do you think about Modem only and what about these Routers?

That's possible (Fritz!Box would have to be reconfigured as IPoE, as the vigor would have to run in full modem mode - not just as VDSL modem), but doesn't gain you anything. The Draytek devices don't have any kind of QoS support.

These are both the same hardware, just a different(ly coloured) case.

Old hardware, mature and good if you still own one, but not something to buy in 2020 (and at its limits considering your use case).

Its wireless is not going to be supported by OpenWrt, ever (Broadcom wireless --> no drivers).

Very similar hardware, aside from the former not offering any wireless. Routing throughput is rather fast (hardware accelerated, but you lose that by enabling SQM), but the SOC itself isn't quite the fastest anymore - and mt7603e+mt7612e wireless wouldn't be my first pick.

Personally I'd look into ipq8065 (e.g. Netgear r7800, ZyXEL NBG6817) or ipq4018 (e.g. AVM Fritz!Box 4040) based devices, with a cheap/ simple lantiq based VDSL modem (e.g. BT Home Hub 5 Type A or Plusnet Hub One), but a Draytek Vigor as pure bridged modem would also be fine (just more expensive).

"That's possible (Fritz!Box would have to be reconfigured as IPoE, as the vigor would have to run in full modem mode - not just as VDSL modem), but doesn't gain you anything. The Draytek devices don't have any kind of QoS support."

Hmmmm but then the pure traffic go to PS4, without slowing something down cuz no hardware is between modem and ps4.!?

2 devices is not what i want... I want only 1 additional Hardware and "low budget"

Maybe it is not only missing QoS from Fritzbox but maxbe the integrated Firewall from the Fritzbox is the bottleneck or the "latency maker"...

The issue is that there aren't much of new supported VDSL modem-routers due to unavailability of open source drivers.

If your interest is the latency for the gaming and you are willing to sacrifice the throughput, then you can probably do with one of the devices in @slh reply.

No. The Draytek Vigor doesn't offer any QoS. PS4 and everything else is competing for the bandwidth, while technically possible, this doesn't provide you with any gain relative to your status quo.

That is not going to be possible.
The Lantiq VRX2xx SOC can do around 85 MBit/s (in dual-core configuration, ~60 MBit/s in single-core configuration), only by enabling software-flowoffloading you can achieve full throughput (up to ~115 MBit/s) - but you want SQM, which is very CPU intensive, that's not going to be possible. These lantiq SOCs are good VDSL modems, but you're limited to just barely 100 MBit/s without QoS/ SQM and absolutely can't get those speeds with SQM enabled, you need a faster device for that.

Ok.. theoretical: if i have the feeling that my FB is the latency maker or the break (whatever you will call it) - no other connections in my mesh/homenetwork,

Will the EdgeRouter X on OpenWRT (no WiFi, only for PS4 hardwirred) improve my feeling? Then i will give it a try...

Assuming you want QoS/ SQM:

• you need some kind of vectoring capable VDSL2 modem
  • one router that comes with a faster SOC than lantiq VRX2xx, terminating the PPPoE session, doing NAT and firewalling, as well as SQM; this router will also do the VLAN tagging to keep IPTV working.
  • your existing Fritz!Box 7490 for your VoIP needs (IPoE mode, acting as SIP pbx, SIP ATA, voicebox, DECT base).

If you let the Fritz!Box 7490 act as AP or the new router (or both) is up to you.

The EdgeRouter X can stand in as this new router (I'm not quite sure up to which throughput it can do SQM though), but it isn't able to act as VDSL modem - you need a dedicated VDSL modem for that, leaving you with three networking devices in total.

/---------------\
        | Internet/ DSLAM |
         \---------------/
              "1. TAE"
                 ||
                xDSL
   /-----------------------------\
  | VDSL2+vectoring capable modem |
  | e.g. vigor 130/ 165 or BTHub5 |
   \-----------------------------/
                LAN
                 |
                WAN
 /---------------------------------\
|          OpenWrt router           |
|  doing PPPoE, NAT, Firewall, SQM  |
| e.g. Netgear r7800/ ZyXEL NBG6817 |
 \---------------------------------/
   LAN1     LAN2     LAN3     LAN4
    ||       ||       ||       ||
   LAN1      ||       ||       ||       
  /----\   /----\   /----\   /-----\
 | FBox | | PS 4 | | ...  | | IPTV  |
 | 7490 |  \----/   \----/  | VLAN8 |
  \----/                     \-----/
    ||
  phones
1 Like

ASUS RT-somewhat. Had a 4G-AC68U (4G=LTE modem)
state of the art designed firmware but it failed to connect
to a LTE network. And this are full loaded devices.
Für kein Geld gibt es keinen Sportwagen. :wink:

Telekom has a "hidden setting" for your IPTV and VOIP services.
You can't see it when you logged as "admin" from lan interface ...

The Speedport branded routers might hide those settings from the webinterface, but there's nothing special about them. IPTV just needs the proper VLAN tagging and igmpproxy, Telekom VoIP is bog standard SIP - you can do the former on the OpenWrt router and the later with any SIP pbx/ ATA/ DECT base or SIP phone (using the existing Fritz!Box for just the telephony functionality makes sense, as it's 'free').