Pre-compiled updated mwlwifi drivers for stable releases

I'm thinking it is probably best to pick the current master commit. The current 243 issue is still there, but also a host of other foibles, and I doubt whether the current stuff is going to get QA'd before the next stable. At least people will not be fighting the LED issue and...

I'm on 9.3.2.3 with 17.01.4 and it's been working well. The only issue is that LEDs do not work unless there's traffic on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands. When there's traffic they flicker. I haven't tried assigning LEDs manually in /etc/config/system tho.

@hnyman The 10.3.4.0-20171214 itself is stable. The problem is the firmware. I'd say it's best to avoid 9.3.2.2 and 9.3.2.1 mwlwifi firmwares as they cause a lot of problems. It's best to use either old 9.3.0.8 or 9.3.0.7 for now or 9.3.2.4 which is not yet in the repository. 10.3.4.0-20171214 driver works with both old and new firmwares.
843d00cd commit has 9.3.2.2 firmware. So if you want to use it I think it's best to add a patch to use only the driver and package old firmware.
Also it may be more convenient to split current kmod-mwlwifi package into two: kmod-mwlwifi with only the driver itself and mwlwifi-firmware with firmware (files in /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/). That way it would be easier to use different driver and firmware versions. And for people in this thread using updated driver it might be easier to update just the driver or just the firmware.

For me the new firmware is stable for most part and now the devices are able to connect after long router uptime. But there are still some problems with broadcast traffic from router to client. Unfortunately I have problems with broadcast traffic on 9.3.0.7 as well. With 9.3.2.2 and 9.3.2.1 firmwares after about a day I was unable to connect to the network and only rebooting the router restored connectivity.

1 Like

@hnyman I have been updating the drivers in my device as soon as there was a new version in the mwlwifi repo, and my experience is that each version has been better than the previous one. I have been using 10.3.4.0-20171214 (with the "official" 9.3.2.2 firmware) for some time, and it works perfectly for me.

Considering issues with 9.3.2.2 and 9.3.2.1 mwlwifi firmwares -- thumbs up to the quoted idea.

@Sonnix @stangri I have been maintaining packages for probably any combination of driver and firmware that make sense. You can now choose a driver version and a firmware version, just by installing a single package. And not-so-hardcore users could even copy the firmware file by hand. I just do not see the need to separate them.

Besides, the current package contains the driver plus the firmware for three different chipsets, so that makes four packages. I do not expect Marvel to update the firmware so frequently, once everything begins to work properly. And LEDE is not going to update the driver or the firmware during the lifecycle of a stable release.

Sincerely, that looks like too much hassle and too little benefit.

@eduperez Thanks for working on these drivers. Would you consider adding the following to each new announcement? That would make it easier for people who haven't been following the entire thread to know how to use them.. Thanks.

Instructions can be found at https://github.com/eduperez/mwlwifi_LEDE203, and files at https://github.com/eduperez/mwlwifi_LEDE/releases383.

@richb-hanover Sure, why not!

How come I get this?

opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_4.4.92.10.3.4.0-20171214-0e38a82-9324_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
Not downgrading package kmod-mwlwifi on root from 4.4.92+10.3.4.0.git-2017-06-06-1 to 4.4.92+10.3.4.0-20171214-0e38a82-9324.

Using LEDE Reboot (17.01.4, r3560-79f57e422d) and kmod-mwlwifi that came with it (10.3.4.0-20170606)

Nvm, opkg --force-reinstall install *.ipk :slight_smile:

@alundstroem I should probably improve the documentation...

Hehe, that's a constantly relevant idea, yeah - but nevertheless I was too lazy this time :wink:

And also, thank you @eduperez!

New package released:

I'm hoping this fixes my WiFi disconnect issues.

New package released:

Hi :slight_smile:

The last driver cause my router to no longer work. I have to factory reset my router.

@Dylem Sad to hear that... :open_mouth:

There are a couple of reports of WDS hanging the router with firmware 9.3.2.4, do you use WDS?
It would also be interesting to know what is the latest package that does not brick your device.

WDS it's like Wi-Fi repeater ?

So, no, I don't use WDS. :wink: