Pre-compiled updated mwlwifi drivers for stable releases

Sorry, my mistake! Packages have been updated, thanks for commenting.
Oh, and I have been testing these drivers, and so far everything seems to be working properly.

No, I have not seen any degradation in my speeds.

Just another release:

These latest changes are addressed to fix a bug that makes Android devices not being able to connect. I do not suffer this issue, so I cannot confirm if it is fixed now. But I have tested the package, and everything works for me.

I had some more time to do some testing regarding my 2.4GHz slow download speed (upload is fine). Apparently this only affects one device chipset (my Ultrabook). It has an Intel chipset. I tested two iPads and two iPhones on the same 2.4GHz network and download speeds were proper. I have a feeling that this issue came up within some of the recent firmware updates. I'll have to test an older firmware to see.

Should I report this on mwlwifi github issue site?

Yes, I would report it there.

You can test all the packages from my site; if you feel that you lack a package for a specific commit, or a specific combination of firmware and drivers, please tell me and I will create a new package.

New release available:

Seems to be working fine.

1 Like

hello
i'm using FW ROOTer based on LEDE 17.01.04 (https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/)
maybe you could help me:
I install your package and get bootloop of router WRT3200 but original package LEDE 17.01.04 work fine...
I tried to do the following:

• disabled wifi radio1 and radio0 - router work
  • replaced files from your package step-by-step (3 bin files and mwlwifi.ko, wifi are enabled) - after replaced mwlwifi.ko and restart wifi I got bootloop

My packages can be installed exclusively on top of the corresponding LEDE version, period.

You can install LEDE 17.01.4 and my updated packages, or you can install ROOTer and ask them to update their packages; there is no in-between. And unless ROOTer ships exactly the same kernel as LEDE, opkg will refuse to install my packages, for a good reason as you have already experienced.

I am currently running that version, and also using the router as a WDS AP on the 5GHz network, and not experienced that issue. Could you share your config, please?

New release available:

Quite a large change, this time. There are some debugging additions, that initially produced reboots, but that was fixed later; there is a fix for an older bug, that also caused reboots; and there is a new firmware. I will not be able to test this myself until later, so handle with care.

@eduperez Thank you for your continued time and effort with these great releases for the community. I can confirm that this latest release is working fantastic so far. Although it is too soon to determine reboots and such, but I will post back later in the next 12-24 hours if anything negative shows up. I've got a good feeling about this release.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back!

After some testing, this is also working fine for me; at least you know it will not brick or boot-loop your device.

Some users have reported increased wifi speeds, and the new firmware is supposed to add more rates for the 160MHz bandwidth... your mileage may vary.

I've got approximately 2d 3h 41m of uptime right now and I still have nothing negative to report. The download speeds for the 2.4GHz have been significantly faster (previously consistently low around 5-7mpbs) and I have not been having all of the random disconnections from the 5GHz band either.

So this current driver/firmware combination seems to be the best release in many months (or likely best release ever).

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to suggest/recommend that this current driver/firmware release from Kaloz repo gets added into whatever the upcoming stable release is? 17.01.5 or the 18.x series?

Try adding a note to PR765 and maybe stuff the irc channel with a request. Hopefully someone pushes the PR soon and it gets cherrypicked into the next stable release.

New release available:

I built FW from stock Lede 17.01.4 (LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)) but got:

root@LEDE:/tmp# opkg install --force-downgrade kmod-mwlwifi_4.4.92.10.3.4.0-2018
0305-4591708-9325_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk
Downgrading kmod-mwlwifi on root from 4.4.92+10.3.4.0.git-2017-06-06-1 to 4.4.92+10.3.4.0-20180305-4591708-9325...
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-mwlwifi:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.92-1-9f18c9c8eae6a4bfe17f419b398e25cd) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-mwlwifi.

You can only install modules for kernels compiled with the exact same parameters; that "9f18..." opkg is complaining about is a hash of the kernel parameters, and there is a mismatch between the parameters you used to compile your kernel, and the parameters that I used to compile the module. For my packages, I use the same parameters as the stock LEDE, precisely to be able to install them over stock.

If you compiled you own LEDE, you can as well include the updated drivers, or compile them yourself afterwards; just drop me a message if you need help with that.

Hi
Yes, I need help
I am doing the following (as texted on https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/quickstart-build-images):

1. git clone https://git.lede-project.org/source.git lede
  2. cd lede
  3. git tag
  4. git checkout v17.01.4
  5. ./scripts/feeds update -a
  6. ./scripts/feeds install -a
  7. make menuconfig
  8. choose "marwel XP/38..." and "WRT3200" and "Save" and "Exit"
  9. make
  10. I got build with parameters "kernel (= 4.4.92-1-dd74ed5a8565501cef1054f9dd4dcc0b" :frowning: but your package build and stock FW parameter are "= 4.4.92-1-9f18c9c8eae6a4bfe17f419b398e25cd"
    What am I doing wrong?

Modify your build with current PR mwlwifi patch, get file and:

patch -p1 < file

there are other ways, but that is one easy method.

Edit: couple other useful bits:

make package/kernel/mwlwifi/{clean,compile} V=s
patch -p1 -R < file

@gpiszczek, choosing to take the config.seed from there will result in a lot of unwanted targets being built.