Pre-compiled updated mwlwifi drivers for stable releases

Looks like @thagabe no longer considers his modifications as worth using, and has deleted his repo. There will be no more "thagabe" packages from me.

@eduperez Thanks for all your hard work on these packages.

I guess that moving forward there may be other opportunities to improve the WIFI on WRT devices.

That's too bad. These drivers are the only way I get good wifi speeds (>300mb/sec) on 5ghz (openwrt on 1900-acs v1).

If packages with the original drivers (not including @thagabe's modification) and updated firmware (OpenWrt 19.07.5 does not contain latest firmware) are still relevant, I can prepare a new release.

2 Likes

@eduperez That would be very helpful, at least to me. Thanks.

1 Like

I might have an alternate approach to better NXP (formerly Marvell) Wi-Fi driver/firmware.

1 Like

It seems from reading the other thread that the mwlwifi Firmware and Driver used with chipset 88w8964 is actually not available as some had thought. If this is correct, then an updated latest version of both files would be appreciated for the WRT3200ACM. I assume there is some improvements from the current driver available in 19.07.5 Stable Release.

@eduperez could you provide such files for our use?

My installed versions from 19.07.5 Stable:

I have the same installed versions from 19.07.5 stable.

Done! Packages with @kaloz's version (same drivers as official release, plus upgraded firmware) for 19.07.4 and 19.07.5 available at: https://github.com/eduperez/mwlwifi_LEDE/releases/tag/a2fd00b

5 Likes

Downloaded and installed, now I got 5GHz channel back (didn't even have to reboot).

1 Like

Do I get it right that new firmware updates are still released on regular basis and possibly include bug fixes etc., even though the driver itself is no longer updated. Do the AC devices work flawlessly with latest OpenWRT/driver versions for most of their owners here.

Once every 6 to 18 months is not what I would call "on a regular basis"... There are issues that have been open for years, and no one seems to be working on them.

1 Like

Hi @eduperez, I'm a bit lost of the way the version descriptions look like:

Current snapshots include /stable build has the same/:

• mwlwifi-firmware-88w8864-2019-03-02-31d93860-1 which is 0x0702091a
  • kmod-mwlwifi-4.14.212+2019-03-02-31d93860-1 which is 10.3.8.0-20181210

Your compilation is described like that:

• kmod-mwlwifi_4.14.209+kaloz-a2fd00bb-19075_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk
  • mwlwifi-firmware-88w8864_kaloz-a2fd00bb-19075_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk

The driver version in your compilation is 10.3.8.0-20181210 and it is the same as in snapshot and stable release. What about the firmware? In the snapshot/stable firmware version is 0x0702091a. But at the same time, stable/snapshot points at 2019-03-02 which seems to be newer than date in your files description which is 2018-12-10. Could you please answer which firmware is newer?

Thanks for your work on that.

Obviously I didn't get it right. I've read the thread from the beginning and I saw quite regular updates at least till a year ago and I was surprised there was recent firmware update that you announced several days ago. I've intended to get this router considering the good hardware specifications but now I'm at doubt reading all recent posts and Wi-Fi issues.

@eduperez - Thanks a lot! Updated with your packages and it seems the WIFI is much more stable when giving out connections to the WIFI clients.

Will keep an eye on it for the next few days but is seems much better for me on my WRT3200ACM.

Now experiencing same problems as with previous non kaloz release, 5Ghz is gone... and 2Ghz is not stable/performant :cry:

Yes, driver version is the same, and only the firmware for the 8964 changes.

@eduperez - Thanks! I updated my Linksys WRT3200ACM running OpenWRT 19.07.5 to your a2fd00b tag. Everything is running fine with it.

Installed this morning on my 1900acs v1 and all is well. Thanks again!