PPPoE does not want to connect

I know what I see on the logs.

When he uses a VLAN, there is a PPPoE connection that fails to negotiate. When he does not use a VLAN, there isn't a connection at all.

The device that manages to connect does it after trying for a long time (too long to be normal). The other device just gives up sooner.

I am glad I am having lots of support here. I can confirm that on this line, the authentication process takes a lot of time compared the other line with all devices I have tested. I don't know why.

I called my ISP Customer Service and asked them for the Configuration steps. I asked them about VLAN ID and they told me they don't use it. I can confirm I can connect successfully using the VR600 without an VLANs enabled/configured. The same goes with the HG630v2.

The WRT1900ACS has finally connected using the old configuration using eth1.2 (WAN Untagged VLAN). It did that by mistake. after restoring the router to its default configs. It has been rock solid for 8+ now. I haven't disconnected it. But when this happens, I will check again and see if using VLAN Off will continue.

I believe there are two VLAN related issues at play here. The VLAN id used for getting the wan ports through the router's switch and an externally visible VLAN tag on the packets towards the ISP. As far as I can tell, the latter are not required, but the former might be required to configure correctly.

1 Like

There are two types of VLANs like u said one is needed to join the ISP network if required and is assigned to the wan interface and is not needed in this case and the second type where a special LAN configuration is needed to group several devices on the same network together and all them devices need to understand VLAN tagging on different ports for it to work which is not the case either.

Yes, this is spot on.

Can you clarify?

OP did not provide the full network configuration, so we cannot see how is the switch configured. However, the standard setup configures one VLAN for the LAN ports and another VLAN for the WAN port, despite the fact that this router has one eth port for LAN and another one for WAN. These VLANs are tagged on the CPU (and that is why OP needs to use VLANs) but untagged on the ethernet ports (in accordance with the requirements from the ISP).

tldr: OP uses VLANs internally but not externally.

This part was provided above

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '5t 3 2 1 0'
	option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '6t 4'
	option vid '2'

OP did provide the full network configuration in his previous post PPPoE does not want to connect - #10 by Yamadron
It was clear from his config that he was using the default tagging with the default ports (like not using a lan port as wan port or the opposite)
That's when I suggested that he should remove the wan port VLAN 2 tag from his config and leave it untagged.
Anyway I am glad we were able to help.
If the problem is solved for the OP he can mark it as solved.

Sorry, in my screen only the first part of the file is being shown, and I did not notice I could scroll down to see the rest.

Things have been going pretty well for a week now. Got some dial tone drop outs. Now, it is happening again. I tried @Handyman suggestion, but even up to 2 hours and it is not connecting. I left it for 15 mins trying to connect, but the same error over and over. I added the timeout option up to 1000. Not working. When I removed WAN from VLAN 2, I cannot get past PADI Discovery. Leaving WAN into VLAN 2 marked as untagged is the only option that lets the router reach the LCP Config exchange.

What are the next steps to make this work well? Using the TP-LINK VR600, things doesn't take more than 4-5 minutes to fully connect.

This is pretty much non-negotiable, you need to do that, unless you also set eth1 on VLAN ID 2 to untagged. This really is an internal only VLAN tag required to switch/route WAN packets through the built-in switch of your router to/from the desired CPU-interface to the switch.

@eduperez ..Any insights? Adding timeout 1000 and waiting 15 mins didn't work out for me. Can you help me out with more troubleshooting?

The other device takes more that 6 minutes, and that is unusually long. But if 15 minutes is not enough, then I do not know what else can help.

Test with another modem if you have one or get one from your ISP and see if the problem persists.

Try connecting using DHCP Client.

I stopped using PPPoE years ago.

This is usually something the ISP decides, and the end user has no saying about the matter.

2 Likes

PPPoE was still an ISP option when I switched to DHCP Client.

So in my case, it was a user choice,

I have the same exact problem. have you found any solution yet?

I think our isp is the same

No solution was found. I used an archer vr600 to manage the internet connection at 192.168.1.1, while the openwrt router and others devices are connected to 192.168.2.1.