Powerline adapter vs tri-band router

Hi,
I am moving to a new apartment where the previous owners didn't put LAN cabling across the rooms. I am wondering what would be better: Powerline adapters or tri-band routers with WDS / 802.11s (batman-adv)? And second question is - is there any benefit for the Powerline adapter if they support Openwrt or Openwrt plays a role only for the PLC + Wifi?
I have 500 megabit internet connection ( which will be moved to my new apartment) and at the moment I am relaying on x86/64 router and 2x Belkin RT3200 acting as wired Dumb AP. I want to keep the 500 bandwidth, hence I am considering tri-band routers and no WDS between both Belkin routers.
Thank you.

1 Like

I was in the same boat. I first tried powerlines, even with modern powerline adapters I only was able to hit 70Mbps. I now am using 2 openwrt AX access point running 802.11s and Im able to hit 700Mbps on average.

the thing is, the powerlines are set and forget while the openwrt setup is a lot more labor intensive to get performing well and consistent. There are a lot more variable to consider. (distance, antennas, frequency, bandwidth, ...)

Maybe something to look into is MoCA. It uses radio and TV coax cables. Maybe you have those around the house? MoCa is also capable of doing high bandwidth (1Gbps+)

4 Likes

IMO, this comes down to the conditions in the apartment itself.

• Wired (CAT cable) backhaul is always preferred (from a performance perspecitve) over wireless when possible, but when using a dedicated radio for the backhaul in a space that has reasonably radio low noise and easy materials for signal transmission (i.e. drywall instead of brick or concrete, etc.), the wireless backhaul can actually be pretty good.
  • PLC devices have what I would say is 'moderate' performance -- some of them are fairly fast, but they're never as good as a real CAT cable (when available).

So... my advice is to see what happens when you get into the space. If you have reasonably good signal performance where you would but the second/additional nodes, wireless should be a reasonable option. PLCs would be necessary if the radio performance isn't good.

As far as the PLCs and their firmware -- if you plan to use VLANs in your network, make sure that your PLCs support it either with the stock firmware or that they can run OpenWrt. Otherwise, it's a 'nice-to-have' feature to run OpenWrt, but not really that big a deal since they're nominally just transparent media converters.

2 Likes

Thank you guys,

In fact, I have CATV cabling across the rooms, and I was not aware of these devices. Looks interesting, I just need to find the best price/quality in the EU. Does anybody have experience with those?

What I would probably do is to see how is the coverage with the Belkin routers and first to try to hide the LAN cables (but that doesn't look that promising). Then buy used PLC with Vlan support ( seems there are used ones for around 10 Euro in Germany) test that one, test/buy MoCa, and then go for tri-band , as I do not trust the wireless connections that much ( and it is the most costly option as well).
Kind regards
K

Don't limit yourself to the EU, you'll find much more in the US market.
I tested dirt cheap DECA 100Mb adapters in the past. DECA is an alternative or replacement for MoCA.

1 Like

Moca seems the most promising but also the most expensive 40-50$/€.
I would try it as a last resort and only within the return policy.
If you have a good quality electrical network/cables PLC might provide the best bang for buck

1 Like

Thanks again.Is that what I am looking for - Link.
Thank you.
Kind regards
K.

1 Like

I am responding to my own topic, in case anyone finds it useful.
I've moved to my new appartement and bought PLC - TP-Link Powerline TL-PA7017 KIT AV1000 with a return option. I was testing PLCs for a second time with negative experience the first time. What I found out is that the PLC works well, when your input and output PLC power sockets are on the same electrical FUSE - not enough to be in the same electric installation. As mine was on deferent fuses - I was connecting on 1Gbit, but the speed was around 60-70 Mbits. On top of it jitter was really bad.
Off topic - It seems I had an old telephone cabling with 8 wires (cat5 cable) and a CATV cabling. Once, I have spare time I will change/connect the Rj11 to Rj45 and connect the cat5 network. So far WDS 5 Ghz network between rt3200s is working great - only 2 x 2.4 Ghz networks in range, and no 5 Ghz network. I will leave Moca aside for now.
Thanks everyone.
Kind regards
K

2 Likes

Sidenote: (this it does not affect the OP)
PLC can easily wreck havoc on VDSL links, so tread carefully when using these if you or your neighbors still use DSL... (both VDSL2 and PLC are using the same frequency bands, but PLC tends to be stronger than the DSL signal you receive from a DSLAM and hence PLC interferes with DSL, while DSL does not interfere with PLC).

1 Like