Power consumption of routers

This would be typical electronic engineering. The design is to run hot, which causes failure over time. It is a design flaw, planned obsolescence it was called at the time of it's origin. So, in the minds of some makers of router/wifi-s, since the technology changes every few years, having devices "wear out" is a way to drive more sales. It sucks.

That's completely bogus. Almost all MIPS routers run extremely cool. The ARM stuff runs hot. You could argue that it's because the manufacturers refuse to invest in proper heatsinks (the MIPS ones have none) since they cost money, but it's not really a planned obsolescence thing.

I have ordered the nanopi R2S,
i am planning to use it as main router (i know it's not supported by openwrt).
I need still two low power & low cost access point.
I will create a new post and give the feedback here.
Feel free to advice a good low power access point.

Please make sure to define "low power" and "low cost".

It's difficult to define low power & low cost.
Maybe a better definition is lower cost & lower power that fit the following specs:
lower power cosumption possible( i don't know if <3W is realistic)
should be lower cost preferably +-50 euro
supported by openwrt
poe in 802.3af/at
2 X 1000 Ethernet
Wireless 2.4 GHz & Wireless 5 GHz

af PoE in usually isn't optimized for power, and really limits your choices. These tend to be wall / ceiling mount access points instead of a desktop form. And within those, one Ethernet port is conventional unless you go to a "pro" model which tends to be over $100. There are PoE step down to 12 volt converters which plug in line at the router.

2x1000 Ethernet also means there will be a switch chip, which isn't good for power.

2 Likes

i have found this one from mikrotik cAP ac (RBcAPGi-5acD2nD) +- 62 euro
There is an ongoing development effort to add openwrt support.
But i don't know the power consumption.

could you share a link to a "PoE step down to 12 volt" ?

I have no numbers for MIPS based routers, because they do not store any thermal info in the /sys directory tree, but for rpi4b and wrt1900acs these are the numbers from luci-app-statistics for the last 12 hours:

rpi4b:      min=64.3°C avg=65.4°C max=68.8°C
wrt1900acs: min=69.8°C avg=71.5°C max=74.8°C

The rpi4b is running at 600 MHz (forced by powersave governor), has no heat sink, sits in a closed standard raspberry case. With open case the temperatures are about 10°C lower.

The wrt1900acs is running as factory delivered.

Impatiently awaiting your feedback. :nerd_face:

It's 1.6ghz. power consumption goes up linearly with frequency. Not so much with voltage though.

google:
poe splitter 12v
poe adapter 12v

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.