Possible to improve LuCI QOS with some help text one liners?

Possíble to include mini help one liners for some of the entries e.g.

• “Calculate overhead” what for, implication
  • "Number of bytes”
  • "Half-duplex"

Left at least me with some ?

If you are talking about the old qos-scripts and its Luci app, it is so deprecated that nobody knowledgeable probably wants to make effort to improve the GUI

the only docs for it are probably at https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos

You should preferably use SQM (sqm-scripts & luci-app-sqm).

1 Like

Yes, specific the GUI. It's a little bad because that's the first thing newcomers probably start with when they search the repo for QOS (with luci in the back of their heads) and when they come from factory or ddwrt.

Thanks for pointing to luci-app-sqm, should also be the first thing beside luci-app-qos in the qos documentation

Looks like @bobafetthotmail has imported the old QoS scripts advice from Openwrt wiki and has left out the helpful warning that SQM is more modern.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos
https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping

There is also an SQM page in LEDE wiki but that is currently just a placeholder and points to the Openwrt wiki.
https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/sqm
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

But in any case, please switch to SQM.

1 Like

Thanks for summoning me, will fix that in a few days.

If I can ask, why is the qos-scripts package still alive if it is deprecated?

1 Like

qos-scripts has still some userbase, old habits :frowning:

And it offers a framework for a bit different tweaking possibilities than SQM, if somebody really wants to write his own shaper rules.

Ps. But the even more ancient "wshaper" - wondershaper was killed two weeks ago.

1 Like

Thank you all for clarifying! No matter which qos system(s) will be available, I vote for a better documentation ;- )

I use qos-scripts because there is no sane way to configure sqm without luci.

Also at the time I didn't see a way to promote or demote traffic. Sqm is really good at making everything the same, but I needed a way to say certain ports or devices were critical or not important.
AND do this only with vim.

1 Like

What is so insane about using vim to edit /etc/config/sqm? Have a look in /usr/lib/sqm/defaults.sh and /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh about which config variables exist. After changes simply run "/etc/init.d sqm stop ; /etc/init.d sqm start" that should get this specific issue less annoying...

Effectively correct. Sqm does allow to use different DSCP interpretation schemes which allows some sort of promotion/demotion. So if instead of playing games with IPs and/or port numbers you can make sure packets carry relevant DSCP markings, sqm will allow you to treat some packets less "same". In practice it is unfortunately rather hard making applications use the desired markings...
Also sqm is not aimed at people who want to individually control the bandwidth of select machines manually (I heard great things about gargoyle or tomato for people that want to do exactly that), so neither easy configuration of additional bandwidth tiers per IP or port based schemes are going to appear in the future*.
You could, however use, the sqm machinery to manage your own configuration scripts. So if you create a script that does what you want you could just put int into /usr/lib/sqm and as long as it follows basically the design of e.g. /usr/lib/sqm/simple.qos starting/stopping can be handled by the existing sqm scripts machinery. But it will not help you actually writing your script.
*) One thing continuously on my todo list is looking how feasible it would be to create a list of IPs whose traffic is to be demoted to the background priority class; the idea is to basically create an ipset of those IPs and try to re-mark all their packets to CS1. The challenge is to get this done before the actual shaper handles the packets (which probably means doing it in tc and that is not really user-friendly). But I digress

Best Regards

1 Like

+1 from me for that. That would actually be useful for some users, as probably the most often asked question about SQM or QOS is "how can I prioritize/demote traffic from device X?".

Having an ipset based list taking care of the DSCP marking in PREROUTING would be nice.

Actually, I think that @stangri is doing similar (ipset based fwmark marking, that can then be utilised by firewall or tc, in SQM case by the SQM script) for VPN tunnel selection purposes in openvpn-policy-routing and vpnbypass. You might look at those for hints:

Good points for the documentation to explain the existence of the two available qos systems and their usage scenarios.

Not anymore - I imported the OpenWrt SQM howto, and updated for LEDE/cake/piece_of_cake.qos.

@moeller0 @dtaht @all - please review (and edit!) https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/sqm and make sure it's correct/relevant. (There's a lot of stuff from the early days may have been a bit defensive, and I don't know if we still need it.) Thanks.

1 Like

Please include this into your considarations. I would like to start it by myself but I am no english native speaker.

My general plan about QoS in wiki is to get all generic considerations in the QoS article in the documentation, and then it links to the two packages own page (qos-scripts and sqm-scripts) where I move the setup info pertaining that package. In general now that the table of packages is online I plan to move most of the info that isn't about basic LEDE setup in package-specific pages, and only add links around so the same page can be accessed by "user documentation" page too.

Please note, my experience with these packages is limited, any content that isn't already in the openWRT wiki must be added by someone that has more experience with it.

AND do this only with vim.

I routinely install nano, btw. I know how to use basic vim functions, but I really dislike it.

[quote="Doppel-D, post:13, topic:1713, full:true"]
Please include this into your considarations. I would like to start it by myself but I am no english native speaker.[/quote]You post in a good enough english for writing in the wiki too, don't be shy. :smirk:

Why did I come back and read this and must be reminded that I didn't wrote something.... ;- )