Porting a .deb package to an .ipk format

I am using a GL.iNet Flint (GL-AX1800) router. It features an ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l), and runs OpenWrt 21.02 with kernel version 4.4.60.

I am considering porting the NordVPN VPN application packaged in .deb format, into .ipk format to install on my router for better management of VPN client configurations.

NordVPN offers a secure VPN Linux client compatible with aarch64, armv5, armv7, i386, and x86_64 architectures. The minimal kernel version required is 3.7.0 for aarch64 and 3.2.0 for other architectures.

Are there any instructions, tools, or scripts available for porting the .deb package to .ipk? Is this porting feasible?

Thanks!

You might want to review this recent post re: .ipk -> .apk possible changes.

that's not OpenWRT, but gl.inet's version of it.

all questions should be directed to them, as long as you're using their firmware.

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

1 Like

Apart from the very valid aspects above.

While the binary format of *.ipk and *.deb is somewhat similar (the *.ipk clearly modeled after *.deb, but with a couple of distinct differences), the source-side makeup is completely different. So while seeing how other distributions are packaging their software always helps, there is no real help for generating an OpenWrt package (regardless of the question between *.ipk and *.apk) to be gained from that.

You need to port this to apk as openwrt now switch to apk and chnageing it's package manager.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.