Port to TP-Link RE200

I think the question is more, How do I install mktplinkfw so I can then run that command in terminal? And if that's not LaercioCordeiro's question, that is my question.

Appreciate the help.

Ah, OK: It's part of OpenWrt's build system, so you need to set up the development environment. I understand pretty well that this is not very convenient, so I'll try to come up with a more convenient solution - maybe a GUI tool that allows to generate such an image.

1 Like

Not ready for tool-less user install. Should be fixed either with mktplinkfw binary for x86_64 linux, either with a suitable transition firmware for both EU and US regions like for similar tp-link devices on mt7620 either with some updated version of such tool.
Till there is no way to be installed without opening the device this should not be present in snapshots.

I created a simple GUI tool where you need to select a TP-Link Firmware and an OpenWrt Firmware and the tool creates a firmware suitable for flashing via web interface.
There is one drawback: I cannot test the resulting firmware, because I super-glued my device back together and can't flash back to stock to test it. I only verified that the headers, file locations and checksums are correct.

Before releasing binaries to the public, I'm therefore looking for someone with a stock web interface who is prepared to take the risk that the device might either be bricked or that serial access is necessary to recover the device. Please send me a PM in this case. The source code is available at https://www.aboehler.at/hg/openwrt-imagetool.

4 Likes

Could you give an example of such a transition firmware?

1 Like

Hope this is similar to our device somehow, especially with the v1 header
And here are the roots of the header's reverse-engeneering

That worked fine for me with the lastest snapshot. Thank you!
Used cmake CMakeLists.txt && make to get executable binary. Not 100% sure that was theright way to build it, but it worked for me on ArchLinux.

Thanks for testing! Yes, that's the right way to build it (I developed it on Arch). I'll post a Windows binary later today.

1 Like

Hi there, i follow your progress since a couple of days.

First thanks for your work, now i want openwrt on my v2

I compiled the tool and downloaded eu stock v2 Firmware and the official snapshot.

My question which i need to convert the factory or sysupgrade, i guess factory.

But with both i get firmware error via webinterface.

Im brave and will test, if it really goes wrong ill take my raspberry and reflash via the gpios already done with my archer c7.

But what i never done before is building openwrt from source. (cause of 384kbit/64kbit Internet)
Loading the image leasts 20 minutes, source would need days.

With a little advice i would join and paticipate (got some embedded skills from Android porting)

Fist some info:
MT7628A;MT7628AN
1701-AJCSL, EAP0V234
MT7610E
RAM1 Size 64 MB
RAM1 Chip Zentel A3R12E40DBF-8E

Thanks in advance
Phil2Sat

Currently, only the v1 is supported. As you already mentioned, the v2 is based on a different SoC (MT7628A vs. MT7620A). According to @Flole the v3 uses the same SoC.

1 Like

Yes i know, so i hope i can use @Flole 's build to get it sing and dance, but so far i cant see anything on git or somewhere else

It's indeed not published yet as I am a little bit skeptical about the 5Ghz Wifi Range. I will send you a copy soon @phil2sat (if you dont hear anything within the next week please mention me again as I most likely forgot it then).

1 Like

Which regdomain did you set and whats the actual txpower?

I also got some weird behavior on my Archer-c7 with 19.07.

I always had him on CA with 30dbm with dd-wrt.

For now if i set 5ghz to 30 i get 17 on 2.4
If i set 2.4 to 30 i get 17 on 5ghz.

Then i tested a little bit, found PA is nice.
30dbm 1000mw on 5ghz
25dbm 351mw on 2.4ghz

Someone told this came from the pci slot and energy consumption, if you set both cards to such a huge power there is nit enough energy. But i think its something with the latest crda and wireless-regdb.

Since im from Europe, living miles away from the next House, no Radar here, the stock eu firmware gave me one wall in 5ghz after this 2.4ghz was faster. Initially i buyed the re200 to send into my garden. But my Archer inside did a better job than the re200 outside with line of sight and nothing within a fresnel zone.

So try PA look for actual TX Power and retest.

Please find the Windows binaries for the image preparation tool on my website at https://www.aboehler.at/doku/doku.php/projects:re200

1 Like

So far so good @Flole added your patches, cloning feeds update -a, lets see how far i come.
Never did openwrt build before. Fingers crossed.

@Flole why don't you post them publicly? I'll receive a v2.1 tomorrow..

1 Like

So i really dont know the differences between v2 and v3, but i guess it is something in the firmware. I tried bridge mode and the v3 had some extra features on stock, so someone told me on tplink forum.

BTW hate my Internet connection, downloading, downloading, waiting...

Now building, hope ive done all right.

@andyboeh do you have a base .config with luci for me, i don't know if i selected everything right.

At least i found the tplink re200v3 in menuconfig.

Sorry, I have never integrated luci into a build.

1 Like

Mkay, so why easy, im new to openwrt, i will do my own build and if it works, the ssh way will do, i remember i accidently fashed a snapshot to my archer and wondered why there was no webinterface.

"Legal!" Various responses and paths. I will try again to put "este treco" (o openwrt) on my re200v1.
Excuse me, my English is bad (google translate). I am from Suzano, a city close to São Paulo - Brazil. Even though I'm a very layman, I really like the openwrt; I have openwrt installed on all devices here at home and at my mom's. "Abraços!!"