Port Forwarding really needed?

Hi

I use WG without Port Forwarding. I am running torrents rtorrent but see no issue.

Why P2P needs port forwarding? Why I see no issue?

I not understand

No Port Forwarding

ProtonVPN does not currently support remote port forwarding, which may impact some applications. Especially Peer-to-Peer applications like Torrent clients.

Port forwarding allows incoming Torrent connections to come directly to your computer, which is exactly what you need for a peer to peer program like Torrent to work correctly. Without port forwarding , those connections will be blocked by your router,and you you will get a low priority from other seeds.

3 Likes

It is important for seeding especially on those trackers where ratio matters.
Otherwise, it's problematic for other peers to download from you.

4 Likes

Just a bit more clarification. The torrenting protocol sets up a form of NAT tunneling ie a "tunnel" or way through your firewall, so when you are actively downloading from peer(s), other peers can download from you.
Once you stop downloading eg file complete, and any existing peers stop downloading from you, the NAT tunnel will close. This means external peers can no longer connect to download from you.

Scenario:
Lets say you have a video of your birthday you want to share with your friends. You create a torrent - but they cannot download it. There is no "tunnel" through your firewall.
You can fix this in two ways.

1. open a tunnel by starting to download something else then tell your friends to try again.
  2. set up port forwarding to your computer so peers can see your torrent software ports directly.

You do not have to set up port forwarding to download. But if are allowing uploading to peers then without port forwarding, it can be quite unreliable and depends very much what else you are doing at the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.