Port forwarding not working when openvpn client is started

I've installed LEDE/OpenWRT on my TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v4 router. Behind that router is a Synology NAS (LAN: 192.168.101.119) with an OpenVPN Server
which I use to connect to my home from the outside world (WAN). So that I can access my home nas and have safe internet browsing when I'm abroad.
I've added the following port forwarding to the /etc/config/firewall :

config redirect
	option name 'OpenVPN (Port change!)'
	option src 'wan'
	option proto 'tcpudp'
	option src_dport '443'
	option dest_ip '192.168.101.119'
	option dest_port '8194'
	option target 'DNAT'
	option dest 'lan'
(note: I've configured 8194 as OpenVPN Server port on my Synology NAS)

Everything works fine with this configuration.

On this router I've just installed a OpenVPN Client. This client connects to my VPN Provider (NordVPN).
Goal is to have all trafic routed through this VPN connection for anonymous internet access.
I've used the following instruction to setup the VPN client connection:
https://nordvpn.com/nl/tutorials/openwrt/openvpn/
Using this manual, I can connect to NordVPN and all internet trafic is routed through that tunnel.

The problem is that when the openvpn client is started, the port forwarding does not work anymore.
What I want to achieve is that I can connect to my home via an OpenVPN Client (on e.g. my phone) to access my home NAS. And that all my internet browsing
is also routed through the NordVPN tunnel.

Openvpn Client --WAN--> TP-Link Router --LAN--> Synology NAS --LAN--> TP-Link Router --VPN--> NordVPN Server
(e.g. iPhone) (Port forwarding) (OpenVPN Server) (OpenVPN Client)

I've googled a lot on how to fix the problem that port forwarding is not working when an openvpn client is started. But I've found no clear answer.
Please help!

Umberto

LEDE or OpenWrt? Which one exactly?
LEDE snapshot?
LEDE 17.01.4?
OpenWrt snapshot?
OpenWrt 15.05.1?

Indeed forgot to mention:
Model: TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v4
Firmware Version: LEDE Reboot 17.01.3 r3533-d0bf257c46 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.232.21093-079f65a)
Kernel Version: 4.4.89

Did you ever find a solution?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.