Point to point help

Hello friends, I have a question, I have 2 CPE comfast E130NV2 where I make a bridge to transmit wireless signal from an aunt's house to another house of my parents about 160 meters away, I would like to change the antenna software by removing the firmware original and putting OpenWRT in place, I found the link below to make the point-to-point connection. Is this material still valid? If I follow it correctly, will I be successful in the process?

In addition to the 2 CPE's, I will use a router to distribute internet at the destination. The router uses the standard tplink software because it is very old.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds

Wds and mesh works across most devices. Esp atheros-qualcomm to mediatek.
160m though you may need directional antenna which is not option for particular router at all.

1 Like

The E130Nv2 works as a directional antenna, I have one at each end, but I couldn't make it work the first time I tested it with OpenWRt, now I want to try again, it promises up to 1km of distance

My biggest problem I believe is that I need to repeat an existing network to have access to the internet because the router at the point where it distributes the internet is receiving the uplink cable that comes with a ubiquit antenna directly to the lan ports, only doing the job of distributing the SSID.

openwrt must connect to this network and distribute another network via WDS, which I don't know is possible.

wds or mesh can be connected in place where wired dumb ap would go.

sorry I didn't understand what you meant to say
Will I be successful if I follow the tutorial below? Another question, I saw some videos where deactivating DHCP on the AP and on the station is it necessary?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds

Yes, guide is correct, you can have whole network bridged using wds or mesh.

I understand the guide doesn't talk about disabling DHCP on the WDS AP but I saw this in a guide on YouTube but it was from about 7 years ago, do you need to do this? I mean disable DHCP on the AP and the client?

Yes, it would be good to link it; so we can rip it apart and the next person that does a search here will find it here eviscerated..

7 years ago... wow.
And please include this:

In principle you link long range devices outside target network, then set them IPs in target network and disable 2 unnecessary dhcp servers.

1 Like

What Ghz are you trying to pull off this long range? 2.4 or 5-6?

Its 2.4 only.

These should manage 160 metres quite easily as long as you have direct line of sight, no trees, buildings, passing traffic etc etc.

You can use mesh, wds or even a simple ap-sta point to point connection.
You should treat this as a dedicated point to point link with a router and separate ip subnet at the far end unless you need your aunt to be actually connected to your lan.

For wds and ap-sta, the configuration will be different at each end and for mesh it can be the same. It all depends what you want.

It does, but it is of the "flat plate" sector type. It is good at concentrating radiated power roughly in a specific direction, but not so good at collecting weak signals from a distance. This is why the specification is limited to "up to 1 Km".

FYI: If you were to use a system connected to a parabolic reflector antenna, ranges of over 10Km are achievable using standard unlicensed 2.4GHz links eg: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32875412406.html with an old Ubiquiti Bullet.
But that is a different story.

This is the reference video I found.

I haven't installed openWRT on the CPE's yet, I'm going to move them soon to a place with a cleaner view.

1 Like

You can use mesh, wds or even a simple ap-sta point to point connection.
You should treat this as a dedicated point to point link with a router and separate ip subnet at the far end unless you need your aunt to be actually connected to your lan.

I imagined WDs because I saw this in the OpenWRT documentation, at the receiving end there is already a router installed with a different subnet, not necessarily my aunt will need to use it at the destination but if she wants, she can just connect to the other router's WiFi.

These should manage 160 metres quite easily as long as you have direct line of sight, no trees, buildings, passing traffic etc etc.

Because it is rural there are some trees, today I have it running in a minimally decent way with the original antenna software but with a very weak signal -78dbm, very lucky in the direction where the antenna is located, there are some trees and uneven terrain as it is a region of hills.

Check with binoculars and compass, no trees obstructing sight

I'm waiting for the beginning of next month to buy external network cables and I'm going to move the CPe to a new location with better visibility and easier pointing.

small vision of how it is today in the future, CPE 1 will be moved further to the left outside the more "closed" forest region

https://i.imgur.com/d4cztwC.png

:axe: :carpentry_saw: wind will bend leafage, if you get clear view it is ideal.

Trees are really bad, especially when it rains...
So your E130NV2 link is not actually doing too badly given the circumstances, but yes, a more direct line of sight will help a great deal.

Yes, I realized that trees are not friends with the Wi-Fi signal lol.

but I already have a place with a better line of sight to place the CPE, it's a shame I didn't think about it before as it would have done a lot of work.

Good luck