"POECAM" MT7620N 8/64 board from Aliexpress - Any experience?

I'm looking for a cheap, barebones board that can pick up a Wifi signal for a 30 year old computer. Was wondering if anyone know anything about this board - Ali link? Is it in OpenWRT wiki? Would be great if there were serial/usb pads that I could solder into.

Also if there are other 8/64 devices in the the under $20 price range with a similar form factor I'm interested.

At ~US$20.49 https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/ would be my recommendation over a no-name, likely unsupported board. With 16 MB flash and 128 MB RAM, along with the level of support GL.iNet provides (which includes basing their OEM firmware closely on OpenWrt), that would be my choice at that price point. Caveat, I have not owned any MTK-based devices, though they seem to be reported as good performers at their respective price points.

Their VIXMINI is/was a couple dollars less, but the additional Ethernet port on the Gl-MT300Nv2 and, as I recall, additional patch antenna, are well worth a couple dollars for future flexibility.

1 Like

The Table of Hardware lists all devices supported by OpenWrt. (no, your device is not listed)

In addition to this, several special pre-filtered views exist.

When searching for a device which is supported by OpenWrt, your first stop should be the OpenWrt wiki, not aliexpress.

1 Like

I'll look into both of those - thank you.

Yeah, I wasn't able to find it on wiki, but didn't know if I was missing something, so good to have confirmation that it does not exist there.

Obviously I trust the wiki more than some guy selling on Aliexpress.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any extra information about this board, as it's the perfect form factor for what I want to do. I know from the A5-v11 that I messed around with that sometimes there is extensive knowledge of these sketchy Chinese devices - unfortunately it seems that is not the case here...