Please help config router to point dyndns to local, dhcp'd web server

Hi, there.

I have 19.07.7 installed on a GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 mini-router. I'm trying to achieve the following:

• computer connects to MT300N (the "custom router")
  • custom router connects to an arbitrary wi-fi access point (the "blackbox router")
  • computer receives "random" IP# from DHCP, either from blackbox or custom router
  • custom router uses dynamic DNS (ddns) to point a registered domain to the computer's web server
  • devices can browse to web server regardless of their network (custom, blackbox or other) or the computer's connection (wired or wireless)

In the router's vendor, OpenWRT-based firmware, I was able to connect with devices on the same network to the web server at {machine}.lan. I'd like to avoid having to ask/instruct people to connect to the custom router, while also reducing the traffic running through it to just the web server's (more or less).

I think my initial questions are

1. Assuming a typical, out-of-the-box configuration, should I even expect the blackbox router to expose the web server at the "real" IP#?
  2. If so, how should I set up the custom router? Is it an access point, client or something else?
  3. If not, is my only alternative the original setup of having devices connect to the custom router's network to reach the web server via hostname?

Is any of the devices running an official version of OpenWrt? The questions seem a bit off-topic, taking in consideration that you refer to a blackbox and a custom router.
In general ddns will point to a public IP address. The other solution is to use a domain to point the external name of the server to the private IP.

1 Like

The port has to be forwarded through the "blackbox router" as well. Do you own or control that router?

OpenWrt official version out of the box does not support firewall rules by name, numbers must be used, so set the DHCP server to reserve a number for the target machine (next router or the server itself).

1 Like

...but I didn't see where this is connected. :thinking:

1 Like

To clarify/confirm, the MT300N router is "custom" because it is OpenWRT under my control.

In contrast, the "blackbox" router is not under my control.

That's what I figured. Is UPnP an option? I realize it's insecure, but the web server will only be online for 2-3 hours. I think such a small window might be worth the risk.

1 Like

You don't control the box...but you know it runs UPnP?

Have you tried?

(I don't think it will open ports <=1024)

may be some reading here cant be of some help to you.
old article but clean and concise to many.
http://web.archive.org/web/20071026202144/http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=bestpractices-dns

1 Like

I don't know. That's where "assuming a typical, out-of-the-box configuration" comes into play. Is UPnP typically enabled on off-the-shelf, consumer-level routers (again, an assumption)? I realize it's a gamble, but I do have access to try ahead of need.

So the crux of the issue is this blackbox router. It would be trivial to do what I want on a router I control, but because the one I control has one I don't between it and the internet, I'm restricted to what the latter router allows. That means my options are

• temporarily connect my router to the internet connection, replacing the blackbox router with my own (likely not possible)
  • use some automagic configuration such as UPnP (security issues if even possible)
  • connect devices to the custom sub-network, which manages local DNS (works, but not as user-friendly)
  • bypass the blackbox router by providing my own hotspot (gets the desired end result, but connection could be less reliable)
  • ?

You don't know if you tired???

• I can only respond for OpenWrt (because I play with default routers for hours on end)...and it's not even installed by default.
  • UPnP is known to present risks to the LAN...so I really wasn't advising its use.
  • I haven't ran off-the-shelf router firmware in ~20 years, I don't know

...and you keep mentioning this "blackbox"...do you own the ISP connection???
...basically, are you trying to get around the owner's access?

1 Like

I don't know if it's enabled.

I do not, but I have permission to use it. I'm preparing for an event at a location with someone else's internet/router/access point(s). I'm trying to put my event's administrative web server on the public internet without admin access to the location's router, which I don't want. I realize that's a big ask, but I thought there might be a clever solution outside my small experience in this domain (pun intended).

Without an automatic way to go through or around the location's router, and without physical or admin access to that router, my options are now

• temporarily connect my router to the internet connection, replacing the blackbox router with my own (likely not possible)
  • use some automagic configuration such as UPnP (security issues if even possible)
  • connect devices to the custom sub-network, which manages local DNS (works, but not as user-friendly)
  • bypass the blackbox router by providing my own hotspot (gets the desired end result, but connection could be less reliable)

:+1:

So I assume that both of these options somehow:

• opens port tcp/80; or
  • delivers your server a public IP
  • is authorized by the owner's ISP agreement or terms of service

:question:

And if you can bypass the device and have permission...can't you just plug into the ISP connection temporarily and place their's downstream???

1 Like

D'oh. It just occurred to me that if I want it on the public internet, it doesn't have to be on-site. I can set it up at home (which is going to be a better connection, anyway). Remote administration makes me a little nervous, but I think it's worth a shot.
facepalm

Thanks, @lleachii, for trying to suss out a solution with me.

1 Like

Yes exactly. You don't want requests from outside tying up the event's network either.

For a few dollars you can rent a server, which will have a very fast connection and someone to support it if it crashes rather than you having to go home and fix yours.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.