Plans for OpenWrt to support TP-Link TL-WR902AC?

Where did you buy your TL-WR902AC? The only available firmware I was able to find for download (and the same version was on my piece) is: 20160905 (rel58249). Can you try upgrade/downgrade to the one available on vendor website and then try again?

Different build number is likely a regional variation of the f/w?

US - http://static.tp-link.com/TL-WR902AC(US)_V1_160905.zip
EU - http://static.tp-link.com/TL-WR902AC(EU)_V1_160905.zip

Warning (before someone does it!) - TP-Link advise not to flash the wrong regional f/w!

@g0wfv, thanks, will take a look at it, probably we need different IDs for US version.

Support for US id is included in my staging tree.

I bought it on Amazon. It's the U.S. version. I tried to load the EU version of the TP-Link firmware but it doesn't load it. Reports Error code: 18011 and doesn't load the firmware.

@pepe2k thanks for your work.

I cloned directly from your staging git, added luci channel, set profile to WR902AC and built an image. 5ghz was not working out of the box. I manually changed these defines in my .config (thanks to mkresin in #lede-dev):

CONFIG_DRIVER_11AC_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9887=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=y

They were not set. After building with those changes everything works as expected.

@JorritJ all basic packages required by this device (including driver and fw for 5 GHz radio) are included in DEVICE_PACKAGES. Something was wrong with your build if ath10k driver and firmware were not selected by default.

I'm just telling you what happened in case there's an issue somewhere, if you are sure the problem is not in your git, then I'll take your word for it. I must have pressed a wrong button somewhere in the process.

As I already told you in #lede-dev, your config was broken, ./scripts/diffconfig.sh shows the difference of your config and the the default one for this board.

No, my git is for 100% sure fine and as Mathias wrote, your config actually differs from the default one for this device in ath10k related places. This board is already in master/trunk and ath10k fw/driver is for sure included in image.

Maybe you didn't clean your buildroot before applying changes from my tree and issuing new build. Next time, remove tmp from buildroot after applying changes and before issuing make menuconfig.

1 Like

For those interested in installing LEDE on a U.S. version of this router, you can follow the recovery instructions from the following page: LINK

I was able to load the LEDE factory image using this method.

BTW, the router works beautifully with LEDE.

My device

Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 20160905 Rel.61455n EU
Hardware Version: TL-WR902AC v1 00000000

Uploaded the firmware
https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/lede-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr902ac-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

DHCP works
Ping 192.168.1.1 Works

But the web interface on 192.168.1.1 is not responding

What can be done?

Snapshot images don't include LuCi, but you can install it manually.

Newbie to LEDE question, I've installed the factory LEDE .bin and can ssh in but similar to Nivolis realized LUCI isn't in the factory.bin that is linked from the LEDE hardware page. Can anyone point us to the command line steps to get LUCI installed on a device when there's only one LAN port. Since I'm connected to that one LAN port to SSH into the box, the TPLINK 902 doesn't have open internet to run "opkg update" and "opkg install luci". Thanks!

@NetWalk - Here is a script I developed initially for the MR3020 and have adapted a bit for the WR902AC to enable the wifi radio and configure eth0 as the WAN port. After you execute this script, connect the ethernet port to your upstream internet connection and establish your wifi connection. Your ssh session may need to be re-established.

Keep in mind that there is only 8MB flash on the device, so there is enough space for LuCI, but not much else. You might also want to consider extroot as a way to extend the available space.

# This script will setup of the TL-WR902AC basic networking
# LAN will be configured on Wifi as specified in this file along with the network address space. DHCP server is enabled for LAN.
# WAN will connect via wired ethernet and request IP address using DHCP

# Wirless network config
ssid="WR902AC"
key="TL-WR902AC"

# LAN configuration
lanip=192.168.1.1

# System configuration
hstname="WR902AC"

# Setting the 'system' configuration for hostname and timezone.
uci set system.@system[0].hostname=$hstname
uci set system.@system[0].timezone='PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0'
uci set system.@system[0].zonename='America/Los Angeles'

# Wifi radio is disabled by default and is enabled by deleting the 'disabled' line
uci delete wireless.radio0.disabled
uci set wireless.default_radio0.ssid=$ssid
uci set wireless.default_radio0.encryption=psk2
uci set wireless.default_radio0.key=$key

uci delete wireless.radio1.disabled
uci set wireless.default_radio1.ssid=$ssid
uci set wireless.default_radio1.encryption=psk2
uci set wireless.default_radio1.key=$key

# LAN was originally bridged (type) and was using eth0 (ifname), WAN was not configured.
# Delete ifname and type for LAN to unbridge and free eth0 for use with as WAN.
# Setup WAN on eth0 with DHCP address request protocol.
uci delete network.lan.ifname
uci set network.lan.ipaddr=$lanip

uci set network.wan=interface
uci set network.wan.proto=dhcp
uci set network.wan.ifname=eth0

# Commit changes
uci commit system
uci commit network
uci commit wireless

# Restart system and network stacks
echo Network updated - LAN @ wifi SSID $ssid with WPA2 encryption + password $key and WAN via ethernet
echo Connect ethernet to WAN.
echo Restarting network...
/etc/init.d/system restart
/etc/init.d/network restart

Hello,

I hope someone can help me.
I try to install LEDE on a WR902AC and I'm not very familar with Linux. Everything is working well so far. Now I would like to use the router with 3G HSPA+ USB Adapter MA260 (also from TP-Link) and I orientate me on this guide (https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle).
But I get this errors (output from putty)

root@LEDE:~# opkg install comgt kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-serial-wwan usb-modeswitch usb-modeswi
tch-data
Package comgt (0.32-30) installed in root is up to date.
Installing kmod-usb-serial (4.4.90-1) to root...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial_4.4.90-1_mips_   24kc.ipk
Installing kmod-usb-serial-option (4.4.90-1) to root...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-option_4.4.90-   1_mips_24kc.ipk
Upgrading kmod-usb-serial-wwan on root from 4.4.89-1 to 4.4.90-1...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-wwan_4.4.90-1_   mips_24kc.ipk
Package usb-modeswitch (2017-05-24-453da8e5-1) installed in root is up to date.
Unknown package 'usb-modeswitch-data'.
Configuring kmod-usb-serial-wwan.
failed to find a module named usb_wwan
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.90-1-10fe3f48b906daa67e959756d0a63862) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-option:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-option.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-wwan:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-wwan.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usb-modeswitch-data.
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-serial-wwan" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-serial-wwan.postinst returned 255.

greetings
petschmi

https://lede-project.org/faq/after_installation#cannot_satisfy_dependencies

Thanks for your info, but I get also errors.

root@LEDE:~# opkg --force-depends install comgt kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-serial-wwan usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data
Package comgt (0.32-30) installed in root is up to date.
Installing kmod-usb-serial (4.4.91-1) to root...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial_4.4.91-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Installing kmod-usb-serial-option (4.4.91-1) to root...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-option_4.4.91-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Upgrading kmod-usb-serial-wwan on root from 4.4.89-1 to 4.4.91-1...
Downloading ...://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-serial-wwan_4.4.91-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Removing obsolete file /lib/modules/4.4.89/usb_wwan.ko.
Package usb-modeswitch (2017-05-24-453da8e5-1) installed in root is up to date.
Unknown package 'usb-modeswitch-data'.
Configuring kmod-usb-serial.
failed to find a module named usbserial
Configuring kmod-usb-serial-wwan.
failed to find a module named usb_wwan
Configuring kmod-usb-serial-option.
failed to find a module named option
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.91-1-10fe3f48b906daa67e959756d0a63862) *
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-option:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-wwan:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usb-modeswitch-data.
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-serial" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-serial.postinst returned 255.
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-serial-wwan" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-serial-wwan.postinst returned 255.
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-serial-option" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-usb-serial-option.postinst returned 255.
root@LEDE:~# 
root@LEDE:~#

In the link of your post I found " Mind that this is likely to fail for kernel related packages (kmods)."
Another forumsquestion. How can I format the output in a block view (extra frame) in this forum?

greetings
petschmi

The reason for the above errors:

Welcome to the world of snapshots, which regularly change. The solution is also given in the above link.

Regarding formatting:

Use "Preformatted text" (</> symbol in the Edit bar).

Ok, but it looks like there only exist a snapshot version for this device. I can't find a stable version, can you confirm it?

greetings
petschmi