Pixel 6 unable to register to mobile network behind OpenWrt

Here's my current config for tracking sake. Should I be digging into the odhcp config perhaps?

/etc/config/dhcp

config dnsmasq
        option domainneeded '1'
        option localise_queries '1'
        option rebind_protection '1'
        option rebind_localhost '1'
        option local '/lan/'
        option domain 'lan'
        option expandhosts '1'
        option readethers '1'
        option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
        option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.d/resolv.conf.auto'
        option localservice '1'
        option ednspacket_max '1232'
        option authoritative '1'

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
        option start '100'
        option leasetime '12h'
        option dhcpv4 'server'
        option limit '254'
        option ndp 'hybrid'
        option ra 'relay'
        option dhcpv6 'relay'
        option ndproxy_routing '0'

config dhcp 'wan'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ignore '1'

config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
        option maindhcp '0'
        option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
        option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'
        option loglevel '4'

config dhcp 'Broadband'
        option interface 'Broadband'
        option ignore '1'
        option master '1'
        option ra 'relay'
        option dhcpv6 'relay'
        option ndp 'relay'
        option ndproxy_routing '0'

/etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd5d:b54f:c504::/48'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0'
        option mtu '1342'
        option mtu6 '1342'

config interface 'lan'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '192.168.13.1'

config device
        option name 'wwan0'
        option mtu '1342'
        option mtu6 '1342'

config interface 'Broadband'
        option proto 'modemmanager'
        option device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:01:1b.0/usb3/3-1'
        option apn 'firstnet-broadband'
        option auth 'none'
        option iptype 'ipv4v6'
        option ip6weight '0'

config device
        option name 'eth0'
        option mtu '1342'
        option mtu6 '1342'

I'm going to walk myself off a plank with this, I think.

I reached out to Mint, they told me that even though my Pixel 6 is compatible with their network (I've been a customer for around a year) my phone is not compatible with wifi calling, which I've been using this entire time- strange, I thought.

Google tells a pretty gruesome story of Pixel phones having difficulty with wifi calling on different networks, but obviously I'm most interested in T-Mobile.

So, out of curiosity I snagged my Note 9 from the dust drawer, moved the Mint sim, powered up and boom I'm registered. The Note 9 does not succeed in handling test-ipv6 it bombs in the same fashion.

How I've been using WiFi calling/texting since the beginning with this service on this phone is now completely beyond me. I was actually considering upgrading to a Pixel 7 in a few short days... Maybe not.

2 Likes

I would suggest offering the Pixel 6 strictly IPv4 on the wifi, and see if that works.

I have a cheap Samsung on Verizon which generally does wifi calling, but it can be difficult to get it registered to wifi call especially if there is no native cell signal present at all.

VoIP consists of a not time-critical setup with TCP (SIP) then the call itself is numerous short UDP packets, so if the only problem is MTU I doubt that is what breaks it.

1 Like

Alrighty,

I've disabled IPv6 at the WAN interface along with DHCPv6 settings. My P6 is still getting three IPv6 addresses which is a bit confounding.

My previous test was on ROOter/GoldenOrb which is built around a different control mechanism for the modem. The previous platform uses the native protocol for the modem (MBIM/QMI) while the new uses ModemManager to obfuscate the native protocol.

ROOter would stand up IPv6 interfaces under wan6. I wonder if I should mimic that configuration and have a Broadband/Broadband6 (and maybe just change name to wan to save typing)

Booted my new router to ROOter/GoldenOrb and pushed my backed up config... My Pixel 6 is registered and able to make calls/texts. test-ipv6.com still does not work.

I can register on the WiFi from my wired AP or directly on the SSID offered by the router - I've got a crappy USB stick plugged in there.

Now to move this image to Proxmox, boot it, and see if it's Proxmox causing my pain and anguish or OpenWrt. I really need to use OpenWrt over ROOter because I'm moving to a PCIe modem that doesn't have a USB interface which ROOter is written for.

/edit: Starting to wonder if I can just restore my ROOter backup to OpenWrt, a thought if I get desperate.

ROOter in Proxmox works. Ok. Now I guess I get to do some comparing. This is definitely an issue with OpenWrt.

Of course for Black Friday Google has to make the Pixel 7 cost like $40 to upgrade to from a Pixel 6 to make my life more difficult.

@mk24 @anon98444528 @Pico I've got both of these router OS's virtualized and ready for comparison. I just need some free time to get to comparing.