Ping fail, okpg update fail, but wlan and AP works

Hi,
I have flashed OpenWrt 19.07.7 on a GL-AR150 router. This OpenWrt router is behind my ISP router. The ISP router is also my DHCP server, so I disabled DHCP server on OpenWrt router. Also I have made my br-lan a DHCP client and has reserved a DHCP for it from ISP router. I can ssh to it and also connect to the web GUI and configure.

1. I cant ping to outside from the OpenWrt router. I cant also update packages. Any help?
  2. I wanted to setup firewall rules to target particular MAC addresses from accessing specific URLs on specific times. I tried this on firewall->traffic rules, but didn't work. Any clues?

Cheers,

Looks like you are using your openwrt device as dump ap, as your isp router is your dhcp server. Did you follow
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap ?

That one works.

2 Likes

Can't ping IPs, it is it the DNS that doesn't work?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply fellows.

I managed to get the ping working by having Network->DHCP and DNS->DNS forwardings to point to my ISP router and enabling Network->Interfaces->LAN and WAN->Use default gateway set.

Any thoughts on my second issue?

Cheers,

From your description, you're using OpenWRT as a dumb AP (layer 2 bridge). Doing so bypasses the firewall, which means you'll find it difficult to apply the sort of blocks you're considering.

If you want to restrict traffic flow using OpenWRT, you'll need to put it inline so that traffic goes through it.

2 Likes

Thanks iplaywithtoys.

So I have to disconnect the bridge from wan to lan? Are there any other settings?

Thanks again,

Depends on your config. The WAN and LAN shouldn't be bridged anyway. If you want a dumb AP, the WAN interface isn't used. If you want a firewall, the WAN and LAN interfaces should be discrete.

Here are two diagrams to illustrate the point.

The first diagram shows how to implement a dumb AP, which it sounds like you've got.

The second diagram shows how to insert OpenWRT into the network so that you can use its firewall to control traffic.

The IP addresses in the diagrams are example addresses to indicate the different subnets; they should be replaced with addresses pertinent to your network.

1 Like

HI iplaywithtoys,

Thanks again for the elaborative reply.

What I wanted was the second option.

I managed to remove the bridge and setup wifi and wan working with firewall rules applicable.

Found this to be usefull as well, in case someone else comes this way - https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/routedap

Many thanks to all who helped me in this.

Cheers,

2 Likes

You're welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.