Pine A64 only one USB port working

Well, since you're using a Pine A64+, the OS is stored on a SD card.

You can either build a new image, with your .ko included, or just add your .ko to the SD card afterwards.

I noticed your device is fully supported, not only in snapshots.
I'd DL the latest stable, and check out the source for the specific release.

Make the config changes required, then (re)generate either the whole
image, or just the missing module.

Plus is, then you can use the openwrt module repository, and it won't go
away within 24hrs.

Everything's doable, it's just a matter of time, and money :wink:

You mean, build the image with my settings in a module!? Well but I have no idea how to do that. I added it into the "config-5.4" and it's merged into the "boot.scr" I guess. Where to write the config lines to have it as a module?

Build the image, or just the module, both should work.

After you've done a menuconfig, there will be a (hidden, use l -la ) file called .config created,
it contains all the settings used for generating the image/kernel.
That file would/should contain the parameters you listed in Pine A64 only one USB port working - #11 by gueni

When that's done you can try to create the image, or just the missing module.

I have changed the branch to stable. Compiling failed, also can't find a way to make my *.ko.
It's simply above my level. But now I have seen how, in general, compiling a image work and I have learned some.

I wanted an OpenWrt router with WIFI AP, and that's what I got :slightly_smiling_face:
At the moment I can live with a single usb port.

@frollic Thank you very much for your help!

Well,

Depending on where it failed, your module might have already been generated ,)

Hi,

Apparently this is the only board where one of the USB-A port is shared with OTG. As such, it wouldn't really make sense to compile it into the kernel, even for the cortexa53 subtarget only (although we're talking about devices where large storage space is usual) - I'll see on the weekend how this support could be packages as modules.

Regards,
-w-

Hi @wigyori

That would be really nice! If I can help in any way (data-sheets, etc.) please let me know!

Thank you very much!

Hi,

So, in the end I've skipped packaging this into modules as i.e. omap compiles the MUSB support into the kernel, so I did the same here - thanks for the initial pointers. :slight_smile:

I've also added support for the BT+wifi module - let's see if we're happy to use space for an optional expansion card.

Regards,
-w-

Hi @wigyori
That's great news! Thank you a lot for the improvements on the Pine devices!

For a noob like me..have I compile it from the snapshots or 19.07.7 branch? Is it included in the official builds -> https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=19.07.7&target=sunxi%2Fcortexa53&id=sun50i-a64-pine64-plus ?

Best regards, gueni

Edit: I see changes are made in "config-5.4", so only "snapshots", right? What I don't get...you changed to dual role

CONFIG_USB_MUSB_DUAL_ROLE=y

means OTG automatic mode? How to do without DT Pin on USB A? Do I misinterpret that?

Hi folks, final report:

I built an image from master with the settings from post #11 in

~/openwrt/target/linux/sunxi/cortexa53/config-5.4

and both usb ports working! Tested with my WIFI adapter which runs flawless.
I hope this thread will help some Pine users, although I guess there are not many :wink:

@wigyori @frollic @pythonic Thank you very much for your help on this topic!

1 Like

Yes, I've changed that - dual role is the default mode, so it works as both host and gadget. While you won't be able to do OTG on the Pine64 with this USB A-port, if we enable MUSB in this subtarget, it should be configured that would cater for most other devices in the subtarget.

Currently this would go into trunk i.e. snapshots, I don't think this would get backported into 19.07 - the 21.02-rc is a different story, I'm happy to put it in there as well.

Thank you for the reply! I's clear now.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.