Pi4 wifi usb "No internet, secured"

Hello, openwrt community.

Outside of establishing a USB access point, I've fully configured my first openwrt router on the pi4.
I'm pretty sure my antenna is working properly and that my network routing table/firewall is off.

Before frollic asks, my use case for this AP is for two laptops within direct sight about 15ft from the antenna. Probably daily use at most. My main goal is network security. Either through a shorter range antenna and/or better hardware to achieve wpa3/+.

I noticed @slh say this isn't a great method for a constant AP on someone else's thread but never elaborated why. Please educate me if there are better practices. I'd like to avoid adding any non-foss hardware devices into my network, so the antenna seems optimal over an ethernet to AP device.

I first bought the 1200Mbps QGOO without reading about how neat realtek drivers are.
I later found this thread and next dayed a RT5370
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/rpi-3-ralink-rt5370-usb-wifi-adapter-solved/87382/4

I know other users have taken the time to organize extensive lists such as
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/wireless-usb-adapter-compatible-with-raspberry-pi-4/117384/2
but I'm still struggling at deciphering what driver/product would have worked and been a better choice.

For now
OPKG packages installed :heavy_check_mark:

kmod-rt2800-lib
kmod-rt2800-usb
kmod-rt2x00-lib
kmod-rt2x00-usb

Config.txt added

dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4,noaudio

My onboard wifi chip doesn't show up in the channel analysis but the new hardware seems to be working properly. I can connect to the AP on radio1

What am I doing wrong?

WiFi looks OK but your networks are not right. Each network needs a non-overlapping IP range, for example lan 192.168.1.1/24 and wifi 192.168.2.1/24. Then create a firewall zone for the wifi users and attach it to the 'wifi' network. Also you'll need to activate a DHCP server on the wifi network.

The specific firewalling you do depends on your intended use of the wifi network-- should they have Internet, should they be able to reach the LAN, should the LAN be able to reach them, etc.

There is no provision in LuCI to delete a radio, but you can do that manually in /etc/config/wireless and also while there re-number the USB radio to be radio0. Note that USB radios have a specific hardware path so you should always keep the adapter plugged into exactly the same port on the Pi. If you plug it into a different port the old configuration will stop working and a new wifi-device will be spawned.

2 Likes

when I created the network named 'wlan' from the wireless page,
made it a static IP off range in the interface page,
and added 'wan' to the forwarded to in the firewall it connected.

Takes about 10 minutes to get over 5mbps then jumped to 158mb up and 184mb down on the RT5370.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.