Pi in the sky V (Raspberry Pi 5 support)

Guys! Can someone point out what I am missing?! The entire flash process seems very straight forward not sure where I've messed up that I could not do anything after the Raspi 5 booted up with OpenWrt.
I am getting this and no commands is available...

bin ash: can't access tty job control turned off
OpenWRT Logo
root@OpenWrt:/# passwd
/bin/ash: pw not found
root@OpenWrt:/#opkg
/bin/ash: k not found

I followed these steps basically:

1. Download https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/bcm27xx/bcm2712/openwrt-bcm27xx-bcm2712-rpi-5-ext4-factory.img.gz
  2. Write it with balenaEtcher-1.18.11 on a 256 GB MicroSD Card.
  3. Insert the SD card and boot up the Raspi 5

hi, you should use a ssh client

Your problem appears to match this issue exactly:

There looks like a workaround you can use, so you can try that and report back if it works.

My fix for the console issue on all Raspberry Pi boards was merged into snapshot recently:

Let us know if there's anything else that needs attention.

1 Like

Starting a new Openwrt deployment. Prefer to use a Pi 5 for convenience and long term support. Don't need the performance.

Pi 5 currently only supported by the snapshot. Reading through the posts on this thread, looks like there are some remaining issues with Pi 5.

Any brave souls out there care to speculate on when Pi5 will be fully supported?

Thanks.

I've been running an RPI-5 on openwrt as the main router for a few months with no issues. Don't be that afraid of snapshots. The things that matter all work well. (I've got an 8 gig rpi-5 with two usb-3 2.5 Gbit/s ethernet adapters. The main advantages I see are 1) since the flash is removable and highly durable you don't have to worry much about wearing out the flash and trashing the router. You can have log file, dhcpd lease files etc in persistent storage. 2) Since it is a router with lots of flash and dram you can run the full-fledged version of things. You can run unbound as the local resolver instead of the standard forwarder. You can run a real ntp timekeeper like chrony instead of the simpler ntp server. Why not give the rpi-5 a try and see if you don't agree that the snapshot is more than good enough.

Is RPI5 USB-3 ports all on the same hub? I wonder about the aggregated USB bandwidth when using both 2.5GbE USB NIC.

The RP1 chip provides all the USB ports on the Pi 5. RP1 connects to the CPU through PCIe 2.0 x4, which is 16 Gbps in each direction. Page 4 of the datasheet claims:

• USB. Two independent XHCI controllers are each connected to a single USB 3.0 PHY, and a single USB 2.0 PHY. Together, they support more than 10Gbps of downstream USB traffic.

So two 2.5 GbE NICs should not come even close to saturating these links.

2 Likes

Then this is a lot better than the Pi4B since both USB3 ports on Pi4B belongs to same xHCI controller which will have problem when both connecting to 2.5GbE USB NIC, but RP1 has 2 x xHCI for the 2 USB ports which is great.

1 Like

The 5 improved upon the 4 in most dimensions... price, heat production, and power consumption being the main draw-backs...

And I hope the new USB controller on Pi5 won't be as flaky as the one on Pi4B.....

what are you guys doing to extend the root partition? The script in the wiki results in failure to boot

I haven't found the need to expand the root filesystem. My usage is so low that it shows as 0% in "df" for the /overlay filesystem. It helps that I'm using "attended sysupgrade" to incorporate all the extra packages into the /rom filesysem.

I've learned just to go with the default configuration if possible. It is the best tested.

1 Like

of course. I only need enough room to install docker, docker root can be mounted from another partition.

is there a way to install it somewhere else?

I expanded root with:

growpart -N /dev/sdb 2 # Dryrun
growpart /dev/sdb 2
resize2fs /dev/sdb2

I'm using the ext4 image, sadly it reverts on new version updates.

Yes, which is why you should use the method I posted above. Particularly true if you keep data on that space.