Physical book (aka print) for OpenWrt and other small footprint distros USER ONLY!

Hi

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/is-there-a-relationship-between-openwrt-and-alpine-possibly-historical-i-feel-certain-things-are-similar/63315/3

I wish to learn more about musl, overlay stuff and other concept of small footprint Linux distros.

I know only Debian and CentOS and this is different.

Is there a print book for users (not coding)?

What you recommend?

I'm not personally aware of any print books, or even exhaustive/text-book style write-ups online about the small footprint linux distos. There might be something out there (O'Rielly has lots of 'pocket guides' and such for various OS's), but I think most of the good resources will be just random pages on the internet (the wiki here at OpenWrt, wikipedia, and various people writing blogs, among other options).

What is your specific goal -- what do you want to learn? Since you're specifying that you don't want one that is aimed at coding, are you looking for information about limitations? implementation at a user level? something else? (I'm not being snarky here -- genuinely asking so that hopefully we can point you in the right direction)

My personal journey with much of this has been mostly reading articles and tutorials, experimenting, and breaking stuff and then starting over until I (mostly) understand what is going on. For me, anyway, the hand-on approach makes it easier to learn than just reading a book (but that may be my own personal learning style).

2 Likes

I do not support, commend or review here any books but this one is quite interesting:

Building Embedded Linux Systems: Concepts, Techniques, Tricks, and Traps

From that I think you can find more books by your own.

1 Like

I know about a book on OpenWrt, but it is focused on its practical use: https://www.amazon.de/OpenWrt-Praktiker-Grundlagen-Band-1/dp/3751980997/
It is in German language only.

1 Like

Do you know Markus Stubbig? This author doesn't seem to have his own homepage.

There is a part 1-3 of OpenWrt books

Total 36 Euro.

Why?

No, sorry. I just found the books online. Unfortunately, there is no English version available.

Books on IT, cyber security, computers etc I no longer see the point of manufacture/print.

The general time between the information gathering and when the actual book is printed is about 5-10years. If we are lucky.

This business of IT and cyber moves along so fast so information older than a week compared with 5-10year old knowledge isn’t worth much.
And the information is daily updated and for free online anyway.

Unless we talk about a history book with nostalgics😄

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.