[Solved] PHY and SWITCH (soc ar9331)

Hi @jeff does my ar150 gl.inet based on atheros soc9331 needs PHY to work ?

In normal config kernel shows loading PHY driver but in my modded one where I’ve got only the switch (SW_ONLY_MODE in openwrt/target/linux/ar71xx/image/lzma-loader/src/ar71xx_regs.h:

#define AR933X_ETH_CFG_SW_ONLY_MODE BIT(6) 

Kernel dmesg doesnt says anything about PHY?

Is PHY a physical piece of equipment ?

Is it always needed ?

If always needed is it handled by switch driver in my second case (see above) ?

What is your mod attempting to do?

A phy is typically the Ethernet interface that deals with the "wires" rather than the part that deals with the Ethernet protocol.

Does your device have Ethernet connectivity? If not, yes. you probably need to enable it/them.

My modding works and puts both the rj45 plugs under switch control. I was just wondering about the different kernel messages

Default setup:

[    0.911395] libphy: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    0.934519] libphy: ag71xx_mdio: probed
[    1.564501] ag71xx ag71xx.0: connected to PHY at ag71xx-mdio.1:04 [uid=004dd041, driver=Generic PHY]
[    1.573311] eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4, mode:MII
[    2.204269] ag71xx-mdio.1: Found an AR7240/AR9330 built-in switch
[    2.246422] eth1: Atheros AG71xx at 0xba000000, irq 5, mode:GMII

Modded one

[    0.768925] libphy: Fixed MDIO Bus: probed
[    0.794232] libphy: ag71xx_mdio: probed
[    1.425525] ag71xx-mdio.1: Found an AR7240/AR9330 built-in switch
[    1.467726] eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xba000000, irq 5, mode:GMII

The logs seem pretty clear, you’ve disabled the second Ethernet channel. Only you can answer as to why and if you've configured appropriately

Your logs look normal. AR150 has two Ethernet interfaces, which are independent and not in the same switch.PHY4 is connected directly to the CPU through GE0

Hi @luochongjun sorry to bother !

My question is about what PHY is exactly ?

A piece of hardware ?

If so ?How many PHY are there on ar150 ?

Why the switch connection doesnt use it ?

Where can I find a diagram of PHY switch GE0 in ar150 ?A more accurate one than the ar9331 soc pdf that you can find through google ?

And again

Kernel dmesg doesnt says anything about PHY?

Is PHY a physical piece of equipment ?

Is it always needed ?

If always needed is it handled by switch driver in my second case (see above) ?

An Ethernet PHY is a chip that has a physical port, i.e. it generates actual voltages that can communicate to another device via Ethernet cable.

The use of system on chips where everything is on one chip has removed that easy distinction but still the last bit of silicon to process the Ethernet signal is called the PHY. It usually has some inward facing logic to control it (turn port off and on, power saving, check status etc). When PHYs were a separate chip the standard is a slow serial link called MDIO. Failing to address and configure the PHY after power up would usually leave it not ready to communicate data.

Atheros does not release detailed information about their chips to the public.

Yes,PHY is a hardware,It is build-in the AR9331,AR9331 has five PHYs

The picture below is Ethernet switch block diagram

If you want to use the data sheet of AR9331, I can send it to you by email

The AR9331 Data Sheet "PRELIMINARY December 2010" can be found on the open Internet with little effort. It is a 320 page document. The version on the Internet does not bear watermarks identifying who "leaked" it, in contrast to many other QCA/Atheros documents (they often are marked with either a company or individual's name). The illustration above is from page 26 of that document. There also is an October, 2011 version as well.

As these data sheets are labeled "COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL" or "Confidential and Proprietary – Qualcomm Atheros, Inc." and may have been distributed under NDA, @Pippo would be wise to check public sources first.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR9331#Datasheet as one of many ways to find it.

@jeff @luochongjun Yes this is the data sheet I used to build my modding:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-swconfig-router-and-switch-gl-inet-ar150/21718

problem is I did it by trial and error more than understanding the physical/logical set up

Mdio is a bus, mac is some logical link layer but should be integrated in PHY (physical device) GE0 should be an interface from CPU to PHY but is it logical over some wiring or physical the wire itself. Googling doesn’t help:

MAC - media access controller. This is the part of the system which converts a packet from the OS into a stream of bytes to be put on the wire (or fibre). Often interfaces to the host processor over something like PCI Express (for example).
PHY - physical layer - converts a stream of bytes from the MAC into signals on one or more wires or fibres.
MII - media independent interface. Just a standard set of pins between the MAC and the PHY, so that the MAC doesn't have to know or care what the physical medium is, and the PHY doesn't have to know or care how the host processor interface looks.

Probably is just because I don’t know how to read the switch block diagram ! Where to start to have a clear picture and find out how the blocks elements represent physical connection on the board ? And lastly more important why kernel doesn’t print out PHY for the modded config ? I.E. where to put some printk instruction to get it if it’s there ?

The physical connections on the board come out of the five PHY blocks. There should be lines on the diagram going off to the right to indicate that these signals leave the chip. On a pocket travel router with less than 5 Ethernet ports, some of them will not be connected to anything on the board.

The kernel can't tell which if any of the PHYs the manufacturer has connected to RJ-45 jacks. This is why each board model has different default config files and "board data" in OpenWrt.

Everything on the block diagram posted is inside the AR9341 chip, thus it can only be manipulated by software. It's shown as separate blocks but they are all inside the same chip.

Setting the switch only bit merely detaches the fifth PHY from its direct link to eth0 and converts the switch to a 6 port unit with eth1 and the five PHYs. Setting the swap PHY bit makes the special PHY with a direct link to eth0 be at the other end of the set of 5. This could be useful to simplify the board layout in a 4+1 router where the manufacturer has placed the WAN port on the wrong end of the board. In the "switch only" mode, the PHY swap would be irrelevant.

If you make a build with the "/dev/mem" kernel option enabled you can use userspace tools to poke values directly into configuration registers during run time.

I don't see what mirroring ports gains you on a three port (two PHY + CPU) box since any relevant traffic from the network is going to the CPU anyway. If you want to do fancy switch stuff you should use a better / larger switch.

1 Like

Hi @mk24 thank you very much indeed for your explanation.

I'll try to dig into the

If you make a build with the "/dev/mem" kernel option enabled you can use userspace tools to poke values directly into configuration registers during run time.

I did what I did just for the sake of it and a way to prove I could do it. I know it doesnt make sense but I have a lot of spare time right now.

Thanks again

Hi @mk24 Mike sorry to bother

One more question about

AR933X_ETH_CFG_SW_ONLY_MODE BIT(6)

Didn’t build openwrt with dev/men option on, yet

What I would expect reading the memory location for this bit (0x180700000 as per data sheet) ? How the switch inside the soc knows how to read this memory location or vice versa how openwrt build knows to create the memory location to store data needed by the switch chip ( I imagine there should be a switch chip inside the the soc ? Right or wrong? )

Think found something:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.