Performance = v18/19/21/22?

Selling OpenWRT - customized or otherwise - is no bueno. Deploying it at no cost with hardware is fine, but then the hardware manufacturer is on the hook for support.

Going to leave this be now.

1 Like

first of all kudos for you ROOter work - used it for some of my devices and worked flawlessly !
One possible reason why security is not important for cell modem powered wan devices is that it's behind ISP nat or some other form a CGN so the vast majority aren't exposed directly to bots crawling for vulnerabilities but this doesn't exclude the fact they're a liability on user's network.
I like to compare security updates with washing hands before lunch - you can get away without doing it a few times but eventually you'll get sick - just a matter of time - my 2c :wink:

1 Like

Here are my crappy findings. v21 barely edged out v19 and v22 so that's what I'm using. Because of different VPN package versions and encryptions available v17 and v18 aren't really comparable.

The package softethervpn appears to be faster than softethervpn5.
Version Speed Encryption PackageVersion
v17 24Mbit RC4
v18 20Mbit AES128
v19 30Mbit TLS CHACHA
v19 35Mbit no
v21 31Mbit TLS CHACHA softeth4
v21 35Mbit no softeth4
v21 29Mbit TLS CHACHA softeth5
v21 34Mbit no softeth5
v22 26Mbit TLS CHACHA
v22 36Mbit no

1 Like

dont bother with 21 or 22. u turn wifi on and the whole thing stops working. Everyone saying ohh marvel this marvel that, explain to me why it works fine with ddwrt then?

19 is the only version that works.

Explain to me why you do not simply use ddwrt then?

2 Likes

It's ok to use old versions if it's just placed in a managed switch use case.

no its marvel its them they are the ones!!!

explain why ddwrt works then? dont side step.now

nope, still using v19. the other ones dont work with wrt3200acm

An error occurred: You’re replying a bit too quickly. Please wait 14 seconds before trying again.

Because different developer with different NDAs and willingness to accept vendor software/blobs. Really if ddwrt floats your boat, just use it and be happy. And please tone down your aggressiveness a bit, nobody here owes you anything I would guess so if development of your SoC of choice stops you better roll up your sleeves and start fixing things yourself.

3 Likes