PC Engines APU2 - Recommended!

Alright then. I assumed the wle1216vx was just one of those cards finally becoming available.

2 Likes

@Tuxist can you share benchmarks and your config/mods for the wle1216vx ? How is the range and which antennas are you using? I'm currently running the wle900vx and the range/speed is much worse than on my Fritzbox 6591

1 Like

2 Likes

i have modded my board and use the firmware from compex

firmware package:
https://tuxist.de/files/ath10-firmware-wle1216vx.tar.gz

2 Likes

@Tuxist Looks great! What kind of antennas are you using ? Are you using 2 or just 1 card and is the stock power supply enough to power the card ?

1 Like
1 Like

@Tuxist

Don't need to wait, you can make it yourself. You can both crimp or solder... solder is pretty hard as they burn easy. In both cases buy some extra connectors because you'll destory some before a successful crimp/solder.

What are you using that cable for? 1 antenna to 2 radios or 1 antenna to 2 chains of the same radio? I don't understand why you are doing that. At first glance looks aut VERY dumb aut VERY smart: If you send the same signal to 2 radios, the tx power from 1 radio might even burn the mosfet on the other unless you use some exotic diodes made for radio applications but... not for small signals like those. In case you flat 2 chains of the same radio, you basically negating the mimo advantages and possibly sending the tx power from one chain to the other chain... burning the mosfet as well. In both cases drilling a few more holes on the metal case looks like a better solution... Am I missing something?

1 Like

Are you saying WLE1216VX can do DBDC?

1 Like

Is that true??

I`m really waiting for a DBDC(Dual Band Dual Concurrent) Card.

Can someone please confirm or refute this!

Thanks alot

1 Like

Yep, same here with the WLE1216VX and APU2E4.
Does one really need to build a Build System to create a package?

I'm just trying to to that but an working my way through different errors. Any chance one could upload the already compiled version for x68 or am I misunderstanding something?

How does PC Engines apu2 compare with Protectli FW4B?

Also these are good to run bigger operating systems. Outside embedded, use of OpenWRT is questionable?!

I picked up one of these APU2 devices on eBay for $30 and got the MikroTik mPCI cards mentioned above. Any recommendations on cables and antennas? I have no idea what I'm looking at on Amazon..

On MikroTik it says the cards have a MMCX connections. I think I need a MMCX (female???) to RP-SMA cable and compatible antenna? The one from MikroTik seems super expensive at $24.99 each.

I'd like to install the cards and play now, but the package says in big yellow lettering: "Do not power on without antenna connected!". Is this warning something I should heed?

R11e-5HacD
R11e-2HPnD

You should probably take them at their word. But as long as wifi is not enabled, they can be in a powered-on system without a problem; the radio doesn't come on unless the driver is configured and told to turn it on. Wifi is always disabled by default on a fresh OpenWRT install. (A regulatory requirement, the FCC and its equivalents aren't real big on unconfigured devices radiating RF on random channels the moment the power comes on.)

That said, not a lot of point in installing them if you aren't going to activate them because they don't have the cables.

Vendor recommends using this: MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: ACSWIM

RP-SMA Female to MMCX Male Right Angle Coaxial Pigtail Cable

Does that antenna mount clips fit inside the holes for wifi antennas in the APU2 chassis? Because I see it a single piece with antenna and cable together so it must be mounted in those holes.

As a general rule, if you buy antennas beyond 2-3dbi you MUST buy from a reputable brand or specialized radio/LTE/Wifi equipment seller on its own website.

Chinese sellers can be safely assumed as 100% lying on antennas sensitivity or specs. I've seen some ridicolous claims about tiny antennas allegedly giving "42dbi" or some other random high number.

1 Like

Hi @anom3 , I just decommissioned my apu2c4 (moved pfsense to proxmox) and I was thinking of adding the wifi cards you have.

What sort of power supply do you use? apu2 came with 12V/2A when I got it years ago.

Has you setup evolved in any way? (Im not sure of the wifi antennas, any reputable options?)
Thanks

1 Like

Can you use those pcie slots for storage? what types or models work in them?

I know there's one mSATA slot. I'm not asking about that slot since I already have it in use :slight_smile:

the mPCIe kind ?
They're rare, but exist.

I'd probably use the USB3 port instead, unless you need the speed.