Patch not getting into Patchwork

I have a created a patch following these steps:

1. Made a patch using quilt
  2. git add patch
  3. git commit -s -m "package_name: fix foo" -m "Fixing foo because of moo."
  4. mkdir /tmp/x (to use as temporary storage)
  5. git format-patch -s1 -o /tmp/x --cover-letter --subject-prefix "PATCH package_name"
  6. At this point, /tmp/x/ contains a 0000-cover-letter.patch and 0001-patch_name.patch
  7. cd to /tmp/x, fire up an editor and and fill in *** SUBJECT HERE *** and *** BLURB HERE *** fields in the cover letter.
  8. send off both files using git send-email --to "openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org" /tmp/x/0*.patch

I got confirmation that both emails were sent, but my patch did not show up in Patchwork or the devel mailing list archives. I then tried consolidating into one file as such:

From ...some_hash... Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 15:05:25 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] package_name: fix foo because of moo

Some Lengthy Description

Signed-off-by: Sean Miller <my_email@mail.com>
---
 .../patches/some_patch.patch     | 16 ++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 16 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 package/system/package_name/patches/some_patch.patch

diff --git a/package/system/package_name/patches/some_patch.patch b/package/system/package_name/patches/some_patch.patch
new file mode 100644
index 0000000000..c2d72e3d9b
--- /dev/null
+++ b/package/system/package_name/patches/some_patch.patch
@@ -0,0 +1,16 @@
+--- a/changed_file.c
++++ b/changed_file.c
+
+
+
+
++ THE CHANGES
+
+
+
+
-- 
2.20.1 (Apple Git-117)

And sent it using git send-email as before, and this also did not work. Any ideas for why this is not getting reviewed in patchwork??

1 Like

( i have never done what you are doing hence my interest, until a proper developer helps out )...

what are the line counts on those patches?

ls -1 /tmp/x/* | while read PAT; do wc -l $PAT; done

having said, that my guess would be the git send email and it's underlying setup ( scroll to EXAMPLES re: smtp config ).

1 Like

The developer mailing list only accepts messages from registered list members. Have you registered to the list? Have you successfully sent any normal message to the list?

2 Likes

Thanks @hnyman and @anon50098793, both of you provided part of the answer. I had to re-register since I switched emails, and I hadn't yet set up my smtp settings in my git repo or my email account. For anyone else with this issue, the link Wulfy added is great, and I'd also recommend this article, which also mentions how to upgrade Net::SMTP::SSL and IO::Socket::SSL packages which I also had to do.
If you send an email without smtp settings configured, you get the following success message:
Result: OK
but it really just silently fails to send the email, whereas with valid smtp settings, the success message is
Result: 250 2.0.0 OK <some_hash> <some_other_hash> - gsmtp

:angry: :angry: :angry:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.