Paragon NTFS driver

I'm really curious if there has been any discussion about onboarding the newly open sourced Paragon NTFS driver patch into OpenWRT's kernel? I know that the kernel is rumoured to be including it Real Soon Now™, but we all know what that can (and often does) mean.

2 Likes

ntfs3 has been merged mainline with kernel v5.15, OpenWrt is currently on v5.10 and will remain so for the next major release (the next one after that will get >=v5.15).

2 Likes

Probably by mid 2023 perhaps?

1 Like

The patch I linked has been backported with little issue to at least 5.10. I think DD-WRT may have taken it back to a 4.something kernel. Do we really want to year and a half to bring this in with the mainline kernel it's been officially merged with?

1 Like

Maybe there will be a way to run kernel 5.15 early on a lot of targets from master, just like what happened with kernel 5.10 a year ago. Been running kernel 5.10 on my WRT32X from a master build with over 6 weeks of uptime, hammering it with 500Mbit SQM, Adblock, Samba4 with USB3.0 storage, it's perfectly stable... Point being, hopefully 5.15 will be too I'd like to have a good NTFS driver.

1 Like

I've successfully patched and compiled ntfs3 module for 5.10 kernels. Unfortunately, my ralink device is stuck on kernel 5.4, and it's a bit beyond me right now to backport the driver that far.

I hear a lot of answers when we will be going to kernel 5.15. Is there any compelling reason why we couldn't work toward getting ntfs3 in devices with 5.10 kernels now?

1 Like