Packet steering syslog

Hi everyone,

Checking syslog from my DAP-2610 AP I noticed:

Tue Feb 28 10:05:32 2023 daemon.notice procd: /etc/rc.d/S25packet_steering: sh: write error: No such file or directory
Tue Feb 28 10:05:32 2023 daemon.notice procd: /etc/rc.d/S25packet_steering: sh: write error: No such file or directory

Some info about

Linux DAP2610 5.15.94 #0 SMP Tue Feb 28 09:05:19 2023 armv7l GNU/Linux

Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks,

Please show the output of:

ubus call system board

Also, this says "packet steering" - to be clear, OpenWrt doesn't have "band steering" by default.

You are agree, it's my fault sorry.
I change topic.

Here comes the info you asked for.

root@DAP2610:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "5.15.94",
        "hostname": "DAP2610",
        "system": "ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)",
        "model": "D-Link DAP 2610",
        "board_name": "dlink,dap-2610",
        "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "SNAPSHOT",
                "revision": "r22171-fdd1af9a44",
                "target": "ipq40xx/generic",
                "description": "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22171-fdd1af9a44"
        }
}
root@DAP2610:~#

Thanks,

Does the issue occur on 22.03.3?

1 Like

Sorry, I don't know, I build my own firmware every 1/2 months to be updated.

This is not the first time I see that message (1 month ago more or less), but before posting here I built a new firmware to be sure.

???

I didn't ask if you did.

OK....so again:

No building required:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.3/targets/

:bulb: Also, do you know the last snapshot you used that didn't exhibit this issue (it's important)?

I know there is no need to build 22.03.3, I'm only telling you I do not use "official" releases (I prefer to build my own) I can not say whether works or not in 22.03.3

I'll try official 22.03.3 and ask you.

Thanks,

The "downgrade" from my firmware version to 22.03.3 is not posible without fully reseting config.

user.info upgrade: The device is supported, but the config is incompatible to the new image (1.1->1.0). Please upgrade without keeping config (sysupgrade -n).

I'll stay in my firmware version waiting for a future 22.03.4 or whatelse, for testing.

Thanks everyone!!

If 22.03.3 is not compatible for some reason, then 22.03.4 will not be compatible either. The 22.03 and other release branches only receive selected backports from the development branch, so as to maintain 100% compatibility between all 22.03.N releases (as much as is possible, which usually is in fact 100%).

But, that said, I have only seen one breaking change* on snapshot since 22.03, and have in fact downgraded from snapshot to 22.03 (using auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03) as recently as a month ago without issue, retaining all packages and configs. I wonder if your error message is coming from a qualcomm blob or something???

* - the refactoring of the Mediatek drivers requiring various mt7xxx kmods be installed for applicable wireless devices, but that broke things going forward from release to snapshot (and actually from snapshot to newer snapshot).

1 Like

Hi @efahl , thanks for your help!!

Do you think both "errors" could be related in some way? (packet steering and downgrade problem)

New info about:

root@DAP2610:~# /etc/init.d/packet_steering restart
sh: write error: No such file or directory
root@DAP2610:~# wifi down
root@DAP2610:~# /etc/init.d/packet_steering restart
root@DAP2610:~# wifi up
root@DAP2610:~#

If wifi is down, I get no error restarting service, but maybe there is no error because device is down and should be up?

Thanks everyone for you help!!

I get same error on my mvebu device WRT1900ACS, I don't know how to solve...

Are you running 22.03.3 or snapshots?

snapshot, I've see also this on github... https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/12095
but Idon't understand the solution... It is disable?

/sys/class/net/phy0-ap0/queues/tx-0
/sys/class/net/phy0-ap0/queues/rx-0
/sys/class/net/phy1-ap0/queues/tx-0
/sys/class/net/phy1-ap0/queues/rx-0
/sys/class/net/phy2-sta0/queues/tx-0
/sys/class/net/phy2-sta0/queues/rx-0

It's seems something related to kernel 5.15 + driver, but it's not clear what to do next.

Seems driver limitation, not addressable in script

IMO disable packet steering shouldn't be the solution.

It's better to open again the issue on github...
Otherwise I think that nobody looks at this matter

1 Like

Just to bring some more infos. I have the same error.

Tue Jul  4 07:40:11 2023 daemon.notice procd: /etc/rc.d/S25packet_steering: sh: write error: No such file or directory
Tue Jul  4 07:40:12 2023 daemon.notice procd: /etc/rc.d/S25packet_steering: sh: write error: No such file or directory

BT HomeHub 5A compiled from today snapshot (OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r23492-ce8c639a6c).

Same error here on R7800 and x86

These errors are cosmetic only. They arise because some devices don't support updating interrupt masks on all network queues with the affected sysfs entries being read-only; when the script that applies the mask update as part of enabling packet steering runs and attempts to write to these read-only entries the error is reported. Devices that support updating interrupt masks on those queues have writable sysfs entries and there is no error. It is not practical to alter that script to make it handle all possibilities, however the output of the offending echo command could be redirected to /dev/null to hide the harmless (in this case) error messages.

1 Like

Question is: Will the packet steering work again while it was working back to 5.10 kernel?