Package upgrades gone wrong

This topic shall serve as a collection of examples where package upgrades have gone wrong somehow.

Please do...

• add links to topics here were package upgrades have gone wrong.
  • point out specific packages whose upgrade lead to serious problems up to bricking the device.
  • mention how the problems after a package upgrade manifest themselves (any specific error messages?)

Please do not...

• discuss your specific package upgrade problem here. Open a new topic instead.
1 Like

Installing / overwriting things like dnsmasq, hostapd etc. from the gui can lead to problems in any case, I don't think it is a good example of an opkg upgrade problem.

What a coincidence, exactly the same scenario for me (19.07.2 / Fritz!Box 4040). Seems to be Dnsmasq-full related.

I'm trying to work my way through a decent recovery. I'll keep the forum posted.

This thread with a RPi 2B included a blind upgrade-all packages approach and which caused it to fail to boot. The thread contains a ton of text output -- probably too much to be useful, though. I don't know that it would be possible to find the offending packages since it would be difficult to isolate them (it could be any number of packages, individually or in aggregate).

libiwinfo causes a depdency error in the last log, but earlier there is e.g. a scary busybox and procd upgrades, which cause a ton of underlying dependencies to the deepest core packages. My gut feeling is that trying to upgrade procd causes ubusd, ubox, libubus, etc. to get upgraded, and doing them in wrong order in non-atomic series of operations will break lots of things (when ubus messaging breaks down in the middle of the upgrade operations, or something similar). That combined to busybox changes likely causes a nice havoc.

pkg_info_preinstall_check: Updating file owner list.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=busybox:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: busybox 1.30.1 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: busybox 1.31.1 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
Upgrading busybox on root from 1.30.1-5 to 1.31.1-1...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.2/packages/arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4/base/busybox_1.31.1-1_arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4.ipk
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libc was autoinstalled and is still required by 181 
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=procd:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: procd 2020-01-24-31e4b2df arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: procd 2020-04-25-17e7ae76 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
Upgrading procd on root from 2020-01-24-31e4b2df-1 to 2020-04-25-17e7ae76-1...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.2/packages/arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4/base/procd_2020-04-25-17e7ae76-1_arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4.ipk
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=ubusd:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: ubusd 2019-12-27-041c9d1c arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: ubusd 2020-02-05-171469e3 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=ubox:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: ubox 2019-06-16-4df34a4d arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: ubox 2019-12-31-0e34af14 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=libubus20191227:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: libubus20191227 2019-12-27-041c9d1c arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: libubus20191227 2020-02-05-171469e3 arm_cortex-a7_neon-vfpv4
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libc was autoinstalled and is still required by 181 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: ubusd was autoinstalled and is still required by 7 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libjson-script was autoinstalled and is still required by 3 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: ubox was autoinstalled and is still required by 3 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libubox20191228 was autoinstalled and is still required by 51 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libubus20191227 was autoinstalled and is still required by 33 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libblobmsg-json was autoinstalled and is still required by 13 installed packages.
pkg_remove_orphan_dependent: libjson-c2 was autoinstalled and is still required by 5 installed packages.
1 Like

These package upgrades will go wrong,
For your debugging reference.

You are right, trying to upgrade "procd" causes a crash.

1 Like

A new user posts that they also have issues after upgrading packages (presumably on the arm_cortex-a7_neon_vfpv4).

And yet another user commenting that the updated packages are dated May 11, 2020, bricking their GL-B1300 after performing a package upgrade (I'm guessing blindly updating all)

Here's one where OpenVPN failed after upgrading packages.

Looks like an upstream OpenVPN / OpenSSL change to me, wouldn't call that an opkg specific upgrade problem.

1 Like

Do you mean on the side of the VPN provider? or upstream as in the source code?

LuCI failure due to upgrading packages.

Reviving this topic, since I have recently seen some more reports.

Another one:

2 Likes

Troubles after upgrading packages: