Own build with wireguard // error kernel version

Hello,

I have a tiny device with limited flash memory (WLR 755 / WN577A2-C). I need to install wireguard, openvpn and vpn-policy-routing, openssh-sftp-server (and for conveniance luci). Therefore I need to remove the ppp package as I don't use the router directly with an ISP connection but behind an ISP-router.

I read that I need to compile the build myself. I used the quickstart-build-images guide. I tried to compile with the following command.:

make PACKAGES="-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools vpn-policy-routing openvpn-openssl openssh-sftp-server luci" -j1 V=s

The resulting bin does not include the ppp package, but not the enforced ones. Trying to install the missing packages generates an error with kernel mismatch:

pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for kmod-wireguard found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-wireguard.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for wireguard-tools:
 *      kernel (= 5.4.110-1-9401209e0805a74743a4bd680f6767f8)

What is my mistake / what can I do?

Any help highly appreciated.

Regards,

Mario

The image builder pulls the packages from the online package repositories, such a hash error usually indicates your image builder is older than the packages it's grabbing. Try again with a freshly downloaded image builder.

1 Like

But I cloned 2 h before the building start?

I'm not sure why you are pulling in the git tree if all you are doing is repackaging the images (not building them). The image builder is sufficient for that. You can find the image builder tarballs readymade at the bottom of a target list, e.g. scroll to the bottom for ath79 here:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02-SNAPSHOT/targets/ath79/generic/

You can do the same for your architecture (no idea what yours uses but you will).

1 Like

I managed to use makeconfig and go through all option to select the needed packages. Then it works.
It's just unclear to me, why the command line does not work.

Puzzling as well: If I include the additional packages the total build leaves more free flash space than installing the same packages on top of the standard snapshot build. But I did not check the list of all packages of both options.

I will give the image builder a try later.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.