Overwhelming choice of recommended routers

Hi there! I've been using a trusty old WR841ND with OpenWrt on & off for a while (quite an old version I must admit), but recently we're switching over to 2gbps fiber instead of our rusty 50mbit VDSL2 and I've been looking to upgrade everything in my house to gigabit ethernet.

I currently have a gigabit 4 port ethernet hub in my gaming room, and everything WiFi connected to a separate AP further away in the house (lightbulbs, google home devices, LED strips, etc)

I'm toying with the idea of plugging the old TP-Link router into my hub to connect all my personal WiFi stuff to it to separate it from the main network (not sure if it'll do anything productive or not), OR I can buy a new router/AP compatible with OpenWrt that also has gigabit ethernet so that I don't have to use both a hub and a router in the room... I've skimmed through the recommended hardware CSV files, looking specifically for models with 4 or more gigabit ethernet ports but then comes the question of CPUs, and a whole lot of questions I don't know the answer to...

I am very interested in the Archer C6 from TP-Link, it has the interfaces I need, it's a good price (ideally I'd like to spend under $70...) however it's not on the supported hardware as it's fairly new.

So my question to you folks is: what do you recommend I do? Keep old router as it doesn't really matter if my lightbulbs don't get gigabit wifi? Should I absolutely not be using older versions of OpenWrt due to the hardware being very low? Do I pull the trigger on a C6 hoping that OpenWrt will become available to it?

I'm just a bit clueless as there is a LOT to choose from and a LOT of information on this place.

Thank you for your time!

Read this So you have 500Mbps-1Gbps fiber and need a router READ THIS FIRST

1 Like

It is a practical idea to use an old 2.4 only router to serve wireless Internet Things separate from your main house network. Set it up to locally route them like a guest network with strict firewall rules that prevent them from seeing your private network IPs, they can only reach the Internet.