Overclocking Router Devices

Why do you think overclocking is good for your router?

1 Like

I want better performance!

If you need more performance, get a new router. Yours is quite old and will no longer be supported -> 4 mb flash.

there could be various reasons... reduce boot time if you work on it and boot it many times, or you need more throughput etc.

I overclocked my WR1043ND by 20MHz. Higher and you start running into problems.

Newer SoCs like in the Archer C7v2 can overclock to 1GHz safely. (280MHz overclock).

Can somebody help with Archer C7 v5 overclocking? Where to start?

Trying to do so can brick your router. Keep that in mind.

It requires one of these bootloaders: https://breed.hackpascal.net/

One of the qca956x. The numbers after are GPIO numbers. You'll have to consult with that device to see which it is.

Download the original C7v5 GPL tar sources and recompile the uboot-factory
The file to patch is below
On my Archer C7v4 the max overclock I can get is 1050MHZ and overclocking memory causes occasional crashes

5 Likes

Really? With liquid helium cooling? (scnr)

Sry, didn't notice the typo

Hello. Please, help me.
It throws errors when compiling.
How do I fix them?
If you can lay out please your uboot.
Thanks.Best regards, Jhon.

checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
Makefile:30: recipe for target '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/.configured' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/.configured] Error 77
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/tools/m4'
tools/Makefile:142: recipe for target 'tools/m4/compile' failed
make[3]: *** [tools/m4/compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt'
tools/Makefile:141: recipe for target '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.tools_install_nnnnn' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.tools_install_nnnnn] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt'
/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:156: recipe for target 'world' failed
make[1]: *** [world] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/Archer_C7_V5/openwrt'
Makefile:20: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2

are you compiling as root?

yes of course.
I think I need to install the C compiler. Am I right?

it seems so. unless you had it installed and broken then you'd need to fix it.

1 Like

Do not compile as root. The only thing you should sudo here is installing build-essential etc onto your system. Run the OpenWrt build as a regular user.

If you've been running make as root there will be files with the wrong owner and permissions in the build tree. Best to remove it all and start over then.

1 Like

Thanks.
OK!
How check the CPU frequency in OpenWRT?

instructions are to compile as root, as it doesn't work otherwise. that is if you know you need to build u-boot from device specific GPL sources.
what does qca u-boot from openwrt tree needs i've no idea as i don't use that but one thing's for sure: it can't hold every device's specific settings

Hi. Once more I need help... Again )))))

gcc  -I.   -I/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/staging_dir/host/include  -O2 -I/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/staging_dir/host/include -MT freadahead.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/freadahead.Tpo -c -o freadahead.o freadahead.c
freadahead.c: In function 'freadahead':
freadahead.c:83:3: error: #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to bug-gnulib."
  #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to bug-gnulib."
   ^~~~~
make[8]: *** [Makefile:1399: freadahead.o] Error 1
make[8]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/lib'
make[7]: *** [Makefile:1196: all] Error 2
make[7]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/lib'
make[6]: *** [Makefile:1131: all-recursive] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16'
make[5]: *** [Makefile:1084: all] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16'
make[4]: *** [Makefile:31: /home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/.built] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/tools/m4'
make[3]: *** [tools/Makefile:143: tools/m4/compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt'
make[2]: *** [tools/Makefile:141: /home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.tools_install_nnnnn] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [/home/sheldon/Archer_v5/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:158: world] Error 2

Please help, how can i solve this truble?

#error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to bug-gnulib."

After recompiling or using your already modified uboot images for the Archer C7 v4, how would I flash the modified uboot? As far as I know, its partition is locked/read-only for obvious reasons. I've been looking around and there are ways to make it r/w in other hardware platforms, but QCA956x is too new for these methods.

I have a CH341A SPI programmer and a USB to serial adapter I could use, but there should be a way to do it via software, right?

Boot OpenWrt then load kmod-mtd-rw it will work on any platform. The only thing protecting the u-boot partition is a bit set in the kernel partition table to prevent inadvertent writing.

Be sure to backup your original bootloader and ART before flashing new bootloader.

1 Like