Orange light with Linksys e8450 after snapshot update

You won't need to connect the serial console. Just serve the recovery file via TFTP.

Ah, there's a TFTP recovery!

Should probably be added to the wiki page ...

Yes, the new U-Boot which comes with the UBI installer does TFTP recovery (can be requested by holding the RESET button on boot, but it's also the last resort if everything else has failed).
The vendor loader does not offer that.

So it's a "side effect" of installing openwrt?

(haven't read the long RT3200/E8450 thread, tbh)

Dear @daniel, thanks for your reply, I am connected on lan0 and with 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0
in username: 192.168.1.1 pass: my router password, file i have tried both which you have given but
I am getting error: unable to get response from the server.
Kindly advice.

Thanks

Yes, as the installer has to replace everything to make UBI work from bottom up, it also comes with a replacement U-Boot loader built from source. I took that opportunity to do some things there the vendor loader doesn't (apart from supporting UBI):

• allow to trigger TFTP or booting into on-flash recovery by holding RESET button
  • the loader now validates the complete image before booting it (vendor loader only validates kernel, but not the rootfs)
  • include netconsole (needs to be setup in U-Boot environment)
1 Like

You need to play the server role of TFTP. Other than FTP there is no username and password involved.

On UNIX systems, you can use tftpd-hpa and start it as root in the directory holding the files you want to serve:

sudo in.tftpd -L -v -s .

On Windows, I hear some people are using https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/free-tftp-server

Dear @daniel Not getting any response, but ping is fine to 192.168.1.24
Please suggest

You need to give you PC the IP address 192.168.1.254/24 as that's where the router will request the image from via TFTP.

what is 24 here, is this mask? you mean 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0 ?
the above already tried, no response

The /24 means 24 out of 32 bits are used to identify the network, ie. netmask 255.255.255.0.
So you set correctly 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0. Now start the TFTP server on that address and then power on the router. If that doesn't work, please share a bit more information about what you did:

• Do I understand correctly that you built the installer using the script yourself? (rather than using the ready-made binaries)
  • The title of the post suggests that things were running fine and then broke when you updated to a more recent snapshot build. Is that correct? If so, how did you upgrade to snapshot? Did you manually upload the file (as opposed to using auc or the attended sysupgrade feature in LuCI)? If so, which file was it and where did it come from?

Thanks @daniel for your kind support,
Nothing happens on TFTP while on router.

1. I used ready-made binaries.
  2. to update snapshot, i used option under UI menu to upgrade it, i was on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r18615-408b6558e4 and upgrade to SNAPSHOT r18639-f5865452ac

Why i have do?
i got the issue as below, so i tried it.
https://forum.openwrt.org/uploads/default/original/3X/8/b/8bb631c69577816fa6b256a31110ae9acb758cf2.png

Thanks.

The issue in the screenshot looks like you tried updating individual installed software packages using opkg. This may or may not work, but generally it's not a good idea as you will run out of space quickly in that way. And why is there mountd running?!
Anyway, I still don't understand completely what has happened because only using package updates the router should not even reboot...

Agreed, I just updated the snapshot to updated those script but its not boot after that snapshot attempt.

not sure what your post meant, but make sure there's no firewall on your pc, blocking the TFTP calls coming from the router.

1 Like

Thanks @frollic for your suggestion, after tern off firewall I am getting it as below

Hey Guys,
You are amazing.. Thanks a lot @daniel and @frollic for your kind support.
Now its up. its working after close my WiFi connection and change ip to 192.168.1.254/32

Many many thanks to you guys :slight_smile:
:heart_eyes: :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :love_you_gesture: :+1:

1 Like

Don't forget to turn your firewall back on.

My preference is to give the TFTP server the permissions it's asking for, so it's unnecessary to turn off the firewall.

You can remove them later.

Dear @daniel / @frollic, Could you please advice on below

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.