Options for speeding up powerline transfer rates

I didn’t know when I bought the devices that the real world performance would be 1/10th of what is advertised on the package. In multiple online reviews [1], [2], [3] and in my own tests, the max speed between the powerline devices in TP WPA8530 v2 Kit is around 120 Mbps, while the advertising reads 1,350 Mbps. The performance sucks, but now I’m invested in this technology and switching to a WiFi mesh isn’t feasible. I ask for this forum’s help in identifying options to get the most performance from what I own and debating the merits of options that I propose below. I’m unsure if the below are possible with OpenWRT or any other firmware or are worth the time.

Here is the tech info for my device: WPA8630 v2

Here are some options that I thought of to speed up transfer rates:

1. Bond the powerline port with the 2G WiFi antenna. The WiFi signal isn’t great, but I can still get ~30Mbps when connecting to the main router from near where the powerline device is plugged in. Since the WPA8630 has 2G and 5G antennae, I was thinking of using the 2G antenna to create an extra uplink connection. Somehow I’d need to bond a WiFi connection and an Ethernet over powerline connection.
  2. I read that the powerline transfer rates are greatly impacted by interference from other electric appliances. Could I buy surge protectors for the other electric appliances to filter out the noise they create and improve performance?
  3. The Wikipedia entry for HomePlug says that the 1,350Mbps transfer rates are achieved through 550 Mbps over UDP and 500 Mbps over TCP. I’m very confused by this, does OpenWRT need to do anything special to get the full bandwidth? My usage patterns are mostly TCP, would I need to switch services to use UDP to get the full bandwidth?
  4. Are improvements in the opensource PLC toolkit needed to support MIMO? The hardware supports it, but this issue in GitHub raises questions about the software support for it.

your issue is mostly physical... so upper level fixes will only do so much ( not much )...

you can mess around with point 2... and / or pay an electrician to properly isolate / filter anything particularly noisy or problematic... although you can't always do this... a professional will also be able to assess the overall circuit health if you are adamant you wish to stick with the technology... by the time that is all done you probably could have paid a cabler to run cat6 to all rooms for 50x the speed and maybe only double the cost...

powerline has nothing to do with MIMO

2 Likes

Try and workout which power outlets are on which circuit.

If you can manage to plug in the adapter's into the same circuit you have the chance of reducing the distance between devices and improve performance.

But yeah the speeds on label are mostly theoretical.

4 Likes

I agree with @anon50098793 that it is likely mostly a physical issue with power line performance.

this may be true, but remember:
surge protectors != power line filters
Most surge protectors are designed to do exactly what they say they do -- protect your equipment from surges. They don't filter out noise on the line nor do they isolate the devices from the line. In fact, most people erroneously equate simple power strips as surge protectors.
Real power isolation and/or filtering solutions are compartively expensive.

You could try turning off and/or unplugging as much non-essential electrical equipment as possible to see if this improves your throughput -- if it does, use the process of elimination to identify the devices that cause the most degradation to your power line network performance.

1 Like

This is the only way to significantly improve throughput and link stability, everything else are methods of (micro-)optimizing the situation (reducing interference during bad times), but won't provide drastic improvements.

3 Likes

My experience with a TL-PA4010P kit:

• Advertised speed is "up to" 600mbps, but the ethernet interface is only 100mbps.

• Even connected one on top of the other, connection only reaches "up to" 400mbps.

• Real transfer speed is "up to" 100mbps, but it adds 10 to 20 ms of delay.

As others have pointed out, I do not think there is much you can do except improve the power line.

5 Likes

I think the adveristed speed is the maximum aggregate speed if you had multiple powerline adaptors all in the one home/office.

3 Likes

Yes, that is what I thought... otherwise, it would be just lies.

As an example

I use two AV500 adapters and the link speed between them is 220Mbit in one direction and 230Mbit in the other direction but the LAN port on each is only 100Mbit so throughput is capped at 100Mbit.
They are connected about 5 metres apart.

Note:

In previous configuration about 25metres apart averaged about 75 to 110Mbit link speed

2 Likes

I replaced the base powerline device (the one plugged into the router) with TP PA9020P which offers double the theoretical bandwidth. Surprisingly, this combination of a slow device (WPA8630) with a faster device (PA9020P) offers almost twice the bandwidth. I thought that the two devices would use the lowest common denominator and the slower protocol. Another bonus of the upgraded devices is that they include an AC plug which is supposed to filter some of the noise from electrical appliances. I plugged packed surge protectors into these outlets and it feels like performance improved. I get more then double the previous bandwidth.

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

The powerline adapters will go faster if you can drop them from higher. I recommend taking them to the highest building you can find and opening the window.

I had the TP-Link AV2000 gear (TA9020P). They would lock up and block the whole network once or twice a week. They are horrible.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.